Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ya ya I get it no one buys a Jeep for their awesome mileage I get that...

I also understand that everyone's experience will differ slightly with driving style, condition of their Jeep and mods...

So having said that I have a 2012 JK with 18" wheels (Mopar) and Duratrac tires that I just put on (before the stock whatever the hell came with it).

Tire dimensions before worked out to a 32" tire... The duratracs are also 32" but wider.

Before my mileage I had was 16 mpg city and ... yeah... 16 mpg's highway. Yup that's right absolutely no difference. Now I was a bit disappointed but didn't care too too much.

No with the duratracs everything is infinitely better about the ride, handling etc but the mileage is worse.

I expected this to a degree....

I am currently getting between 12-13 mpg's city and I have no idea hwy as I haven't driven it there yet.

That's shite I would think by anyone's yardstick.

Now once again I get it no one buys these for the gas mileage and I was no different however now that its THIS bad it feels like I'm being done dry at the pump all the time rather than being handed the vaseline.

I only have 5000 km's on the vehicle and just did the first service.... I also drive sedately and responsibly.

I guess my question is does this have to do with the break in period? IE will this get a bit better with some more km's or can I expect this going forward?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a stock jk sport. Getting 18-19 combined. Tires and gearing can change the mpg. The more weight you add the lower it will eventually be.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You likely had a Bridgestone A/T RTS B load range that weighed 42#. You traded that for an E Load tire that weighs 10-20# heavier (depending on width).

You could get a better ride with a 16" Duratrac (C-load) 265/75/16 that weighs about the same as you old tires.

Wheel/tire weight kills mpg on these, only thing you can do is keep your foot out of it.

Here's a good page to look at:
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

·
Registered
99 Posts
Based off of experience with Toyotas, I would be surprised if a mild increase in wheel and tire size dropped your mpg by ~ 20%. Did you have the steel, base JK wheels on there with a narrow, lightweight tire? If the diameter of your tires was different than your previous set up, that could throw your recorded mileage off. Have you tried a run where you measure your distance with a GPS as opposed to the odometer?

I thought about a wheel upgrade before I rolled my JKUR off the lot, but I couldn't get anything significantly lighter than the stock setup in the time frame that I had to work with so I passed on the upgrade for the time being. With the stock 32's and 4.10 gears I was able to pull 21 mpg on the highway right off the factor floor - when I kept my speed on the highway below 60 mpg during the break-in. At 80 mph after the break in - legal speed in parts of the Southwest now - my mileage did drop a bit :).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Wow I get better mileage then the Op with my 3.8 and 37's........

Yep, it's all in learned driving habits. I can get 21mpg on 35's on the freeway. Flat ground, doing exactly 58mph. If I go up to 68 it drops to 16-17. With gas at $5 a gallon where I live, people are still hauling ass on the freeway doing 80+ in huge SUV's. I guess old habits die hard. I piss people off when I am going 60 and they want to haul ass. I say go around, gas is expensive.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I drive 75 or so, my road comes out on the highway half way up a hill so I get on it pretty hard when i pull out in case someone is coming. I get an average of 15 mpg now. Not sure how high of an average I could get since I would get bored halfway through the tank and start driving stupid again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the thoughts... I haven't measured by GPS as I don't own one... Yet.

I have the alloy wheels which came with the vehicle. I guess it must be a combination of the heavy tires (checked they are the heavier ones) and they are much wider than the stock ones coming off as well...

Maybe I haven't gotten the best way to drive the vehicle but I certainly don't drive quickly... I will run a few more tanks of gas through it and see what happens.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i was getting 11 mpg city, now with new tires im getting 10 mpg
Holy cow! I get between 11.5 - 12.5 but my JKU is pretty heavily modified with 34" wide tires and engine mods.

Do you have any mods on yours? Your avatar looks pretty stock. If it is stock, there has got to be something wrong with it. Or, maybe you went to the Tony Stewart school of driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok... so just a side note. If you change the oil and the airfilter regularly, it makes a huge difference. I get normally 20 mpg on average. I changed the oil and used a synthetic. Now I am getting almost 24 mpg.

Tire size does make a difference especially when the gearing doesnt change. It becomes to much tire for the engine to turn easily. Also, running the A/C, Having the top off (changing the aerodynamics), and adding weight via steel bumpers, rims, winch and etc. All these things will affect the MPG greatly. The engine ends up working harder.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Holy cow! I get between 11.5 - 12.5 but my JKU is pretty heavily modified with 34" wide tires and engine mods.

Do you have any mods on yours? Your avatar looks pretty stock. If it is stock, there has got to be something wrong with it. Or, maybe you went to the Tony Stewart school of driving.

I have 33 tires with kmc rockstar wheels, cold air intake, and a cat back exhaust. Oh and ace rock sliders. But even before the mods I was getting maybe 11-12 mpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I specifically ordered my Jeep Wrangler Sport S to get the best mileage possible. 6spd stick,3:21 gears,limited slip and the stock all season 17in tires. My best highway mileage is 28.2 mpg hand calculated at 60mph. I averag 24-25 mpg city/highway. I recently bought a set of rims and tires(B.F.G Mud/Terrain T/A). I put them on and noticed a huge drop in fuel economy as well as lots of road noise. I put the stock tires back on.Both sets of tires r 255/75/17. The BFG r for sale.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts