Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so if i knew what i know now i wouldnt have bought one. :facepalm: but i couldnt pass up the price. (even came with a free hilift) it was rusty and needed some work so i bought it. still in the process of bedlining it my self. its coming out great. so now the question. ive searched all over google, maybe not hard enough, but ive read that people are buying their bumpers new so it comes with all the hardware, or they replaced and upgraded the hardware. but from the smittybilt website it doesnt say exactly what hardware i need to mount it.

i would like to know what hardware people are using. what sizes and lengths. this includes what snap ring and nylon washer. all the hardware that came with it was rusty or missing. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I don't have that bumper, but your best bet is to call or email Smittybilt and ask for a list of the hardware. But I can relate to people going out and buying better hardware. Smittybilt's hardware is very lacking, IMO. Shortly after buying my Jeep I bought Smitty tail light guards. The hardware absolutely sucked. It wasn't the right kind of screw for the job, wasn't long enough, and you could wiggle the guards with your hands when they were mounted on the Jeep. I bought some longer, better hardware and mounted them back up with no problem. They are pretty sturdy now.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have the classic bumper with tire carrier, what hardware are you looking for?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Iyour best bet is to call or email Smittybilt and ask for a list of the hardware.
This made me crack up unintentionally. When I installed the XRC with tire carrier I had about 10 bolts, countless washers, and other miscellaneous parts left over that are now spares. If SB can't even manage to put the right parts and quantity in the actual install kit I would take any hardware recommendations from then with a huge gaping grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Go to the quadratic or Morris 4x4 website and if they are still selling that bumper you may find the instructions for install on that page. Download and read and see if they have a hardware list.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Given that the 2 products I've ordered from Smittybilt have required drilling or expansion of their pre-drilled holes, I would concur with VT. I don't know that calling them would produce anything more than frustration.

Hopefully there's a hardware store close by, and trial and error doesn't take too long?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
This made me crack up unintentionally. When I installed the XRC with tire carrier I had about 10 bolts, countless washers, and other miscellaneous parts left over that are now spares. If SB can't even manage to put the right parts and quantity in the actual install kit I would take any hardware recommendations from then with a huge gaping grain of salt.
Haha I do agree with you. I used to have the front SRC bumper and in the box it came with some strange cylindrical washers. I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about. I eventually found a use for them although I have no clue what they were intended to be used for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Haha I do agree with you. I used to have the front SRC bumper and in the box it came with some strange cylindrical washers. I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about. I eventually found a use for them although I have no clue what they were intended to be used for.
Yup. Those phantom parts just go into my empty mayonnaise jar. One day I plan to use them to assemble a death star....

·
Registered
327 Posts
i bought a used bumper without hardware. I just dragged it to Home Depot with me and bought some grade 8 hardware.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went out and bought all the hardware I need. All except the nylon washer. Anyone have any idea where to buy one and if they have a picture of what it looks like. I plan on installing it today. At least the bumper portion if I can't find the washer.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have this exact bumper, and the instructions are sitting on my work bench. Unfortunately I don't get off till about 7 tonight, I can PM you a picture of the listed hardware if you'd like. And I am also in the same boat, if I knew what I know now I would have never bought it haha

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
So I went out and bought all the hardware I need. All except the nylon washer. Anyone have any idea where to buy one and if they have a picture of what it looks like. I plan on installing it today. At least the bumper portion if I can't find the washer.
Don't know what size you need, but the Ace Hardware usually has a good selection of Nylon bolts, bushings, and washers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doesn't help. :( I got all thr hardware but that nylon washer that goes between inbetween the tire swinger and bumper.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay. This damn thing is a head ache. I added a cooler rack to it and got rid of it hitting the rear window but now its so freaking loose the tire carrier sounds like it'll fall off any minute now. It shakes like theres no tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to rid of this? Or should I cut off the hinge and lock and make something more solid?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Ace hardware has nylon washers in parts drawers and maybe even lowes. Glad I bought the non tire carrier model. I love it. And a tow rated receiver. No hardware issues neither. Read tons of bad stuff about the tire carrier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts