Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So! Recently bought a 2015 JKU Rubicon and have been going through it working out the used car bugs. Originally I was having an issue getting into 4low. Turns out there was a small rock jammed between the t-case and the linkage. Go figure. So, finally got it into 4low and got my lockers to connect, all good there. I hit the swaybar disconnect and I hear something winding (My assumption is the motor) each time when I hit to unlock and lock. However, the light on my dash continues flashing, I haven't been able to get it up on a rack to see if it is actually unlocking or not but my assumption is no. Anyone have any ideas based on my vague discription? This is my first rubi so not sure what I should be listening for when it unlocks/locks. Any help is appreciated! I really want to keep the electric disco's because obvious convenience. Thanks guys!

Extra info: One though I have is that maybe it needs to be pulled off, taken apart and sprayed down? I don't think the lockers or the disco's were ever used seeing as the 4low was jammed. I think it was an old dude who owned it and for some reason bought every option he could to never use. The jeep does have 119k on it so that adds to my concern knowing these disco's are known to go.

Picture of rock attached:

·
Registered
269 Posts
The motor unit is pretty easy to get to up front. I would suggest standing near it or put a hand on it and make sure that what you hear is the motor. You should hear it for about 2 seconds as that is how long it takes to push the collar off the gears. If it's less, it may be binding. Once it stops, if the light is still flashing, try jumping on a side and see if it releases, it could be just a little bit jammed and you may shake it loose. Make sure you are on level ground first as it won't release if there is any pressure on it.

If none of the above works, then it may need lubed, but I would think they way they are sealed that you would have electrical problems first before you had to worry about water getting into the gears to cause rust.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
I hit the swaybar disconnect and I hear something winding (My assumption is the motor) each time when I hit to unlock and lock. However, the light on my dash continues flashing, I haven't been able to get it up on a rack to see if it is actually unlocking or not but my assumption is no.
You have to be (slowly) in motion for the SB to actually unlock... or at least on PERFECT level ground. If there is any pressure on the bar because of unlevel ground then it will not unlock. The light will continue to blink until it actually does unlock.

·
Registered
397 Posts
From what you are hearing it sounds like the mechanism is working but as above, the swaybar might not actually unlock (or lock up again) unless you are moving forward at a slow speed. This is normal. If any actual problem exists the first thing I'd do is simply disconnect and clean the electrical contacts on the connector and socket with some spray contact cleaner. As you will note the connector is kind of exposed to the elements and even though it's theoretically weathersealed it should be serviced once in a while.

For all the complaints the electric disconnect doesn't really outright fail all that often, rather usually something simple.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts