Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2019 Sting Gray JL after trading in my buddy 2009 Jeep Green JK. Lots to learn. My biggest gripe is why did they put such mediocre tires on it? I've got Michelin tires that are regular highway tires, not fit or intended for the trails or the snow. I was told that's all that's done these days. I just bought pretty good (not great but a lot better than what I had) Goodyear tires for my 2009 last October - thought maybe I could put them on my new ride, but the dealership will only do it if I keep the wheels/rims on and move the whole deal to my new Jeep. I don't want any "old" stuff on my new Jeep. What's your opinion on the standard tires? Should I move the tires from my 2009? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Buy new tires, and sell the one that came on the JL.

When I was looking at new Jeeps with the std tires, dealer gave me a price to upgrade for $345, which I did not thing was bad. The Jeep (JT) had the 245 Falkens. The upgrade was to 265s
Did not buy that JT but it is worth asking.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had great luck driving straight to my regular tire shop and trading the stock tires for what I want. Once they know you'll be a repeat customer you don't loose much but some crappy tires.

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Registered
380 Posts
Most factory vehicles don't have good tires on them. The All Terrain Kevlars and Duelers are actually really good for "street" tires. The KO2s on the Rubicon are excellent aswell as the Falken MTs.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
What are we talking about? The stock Sport, Sahara, Rubicon tires?

The Bridgestone Dueler All Terrains that came standard on my Sahara with the Cold Weather Group were actually pretty decent. The only reason I got rid of them is because I wanted 33” tires.

These are the Bridgestone Duelers that come on Sahara with Cold Weather Group —photo Rubitrux

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just picked up my 2019 Sting Gray JL after trading in my buddy 2009 Jeep Green JK. Lots to learn. My biggest gripe is why did they put such mediocre tires on it? I've got Michelin tires that are regular highway tires, not fit or intended for the trails or the snow. I was told that's all that's done these days. I just bought pretty good (not great but a lot better than what I had) Goodyear tires for my 2009 last October - thought maybe I could put them on my new ride, but the dealership will only do it if I keep the wheels/rims on and move the whole deal to my new Jeep. I don't want any "old" stuff on my new Jeep. What's your opinion on the standard tires? Should I move the tires from my 2009? Thanks.

Michelin’s are pretty expensive tires. Sell them or trade them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
What are we talking about? The stock Sport, Sahara, Rubicon tires?

The Bridgestone Dueler All Terrains that came standard on my Sahara with the Cold Weather Group were actually pretty decent. The only reason I got rid of them is because I wanted 33” tires.

These are the Bridgestone Duelers that come on Sahara with Cold Weather Group —photo Rubitrux

He’s talking about the Michelin Kevlars, which I also got and traded a tire shop for Falken Wildpeak 33s. The Bridgestones are nicer looking and have more aggressive tread than the Kevlars.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Wait till you buy a new German car. Most of them have run crap tires and no spares. Cost me around $1800 to replace the tires, buy a wheel for the spare, two spacers (for staggered wheels), jack, body jack adapter, wrenches, etc. I had the run craps listed on CL and OfferUp for 6 months before they sold for $90 a tire (list price of $300 a tire). Tried to get the dealer to do a deal for a trade in on the tires, and essentially told me used tires aren’t worth anything to them. I understand from their perceptive, who wants to deal with that. If they give you any credit at all for tires you should feel lucky.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Michelin’s are pretty expensive tires. Sell them or trade them

I'd sell them ASAP. Flame suit on, I hate Michelin Tires. Over rated, over priced, and over hyped imo. In over 40 years of owning a vehicle, the only tires I ever had a problem with where Michelin, and on more than one occasion. Some people love them, some hate them.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
My 2012 Challenger SRT came with run flats. Most cars nowadays come out of the factory without a spare tire; Mustangs and Camaros do too.

Anyway, after I blew a front tire, limped 20 miles until I got into cell reception, and FCA refused to send Roadside Assistance —the rep claimed Roadside Assistance didn't cover flat tires, I paid for a tow to the nearest Discount Tire. Replaced ALL $300+ run flats with $150 Falken Azenis, which not only cost half but handle better and are more puncture resistant.

Then went to my dealer and gave my Service Manager, who I knew, an earful: either FCA provides Roadside Assistance or includes a spare tire; I have no use for a car that doesn’t have either. He relayed my message to FCA, and got FCA to refund me for the tow, and to pay for a $400 aftermarket spare tire kit.

There was a guy in AZ making a killing putting together and selling spare tire kits to Challenger, Mustang and Camaro owners. It included a donut with a steel wheel that cleared the Brembo brakes, a scissor jack, a lug wrench and the fastener to hold everything to the spare tire well in the trunk floor.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
My 2012 Challenger SRT came with run flats. Most cars nowadays come out of the factory without a spare tire; Mustangs and Camaros do too.

Anyway, after I blew a front tire, limped 20 miles until I got into cell reception, and FCA refused to send Roadside Assistance —the rep claimed Roadside Assistance didn't cover flat tires, I paid for a tow to the nearest Discount Tire. Replaced ALL $300+ run flats with $150 Falken Azenis, which not only cost half but handled better and were more puncture resistant.

Then went to my dealer and gave my Service Manager, who I knew, an earful: either FCA provides Roadside Assistance or includes a spare tire; I have no use for a car that doesn’t have either. He relayed my message to FCA, and got FCA to refund me for the tow, and to pay for a $400 aftermarket spare tire kit.

There was a guy in AZ making a killing putting together and selling spare tire kits to Challenger, Mustang and Camaro owners.

I just refuse to use them. It’s all a big scam. I’d much rather spend 10 minutes, change the tire and be on my way at 100 mph (instead of 50 mph with the run crap). Try driving 50 mph on an LA freeway, good luck with that.

Within the 1st month after my MB purchase I was looking for tires. Got some nice Pirelli Zero All Season and the ride is much nicer and quieter. I won’t even tell you how much the MB cost, but for that price it’s ridiculous to compromise on tires.

There was no kit available from anyone and the dealer was of little help. - Although the parts manager did sympathize with my plight. About the least expensive decent full size wheel was $300 and then another $120 for spacers and longer lug bolts for the front since I have a staggered setup. I put together a tool kit, with a jack, jack body mount, and wrenches. Threw in a small Viar compressor for good measure.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
110 Posts
My sport came with Goodyear All Terrain Kevlars. Only 7k+ miles but a good all around tire for my purposes. We'll see how they hold up at 20k or 30k miles.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'd sell them ASAP. Flame suit on, I hate Michelin Tires. Over rated, over priced, and over hyped imo. In over 40 years of owning a vehicle, the only tires I ever had a problem with where Michelin, and on more than one occasion. Some people love them, some hate them.

Always interesting to hear other people’s points of view. I run nittos on my Jeep but only put Michelin’s on every thing else. Never once had an issue they have always performed well.

I wish all these tires weren’t so expensive so I could try different kinds! I need new ones for the Jeep and would like to try something new for the hell of it but for the price I’ll just stick to my ridge grapplers.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Always interesting to hear other people’s points of view. I run nittos on my Jeep but only put Michelin’s on every thing else. Never once had an issue they have always performed well.

I wish all these tires weren’t so expensive so I could try different kinds! I need new ones for the Jeep and would like to try something new for the hell of it but for the price I’ll just stick to my ridge grapplers.

I’ve tried a bunch of Jeep tires over years. For my needs, I ended up giving up on MTs and settled on ATs. The new generation of AT tires are quite capable, more comfortable and look great.

I found the survey results on TireRack.com pretty accurate in terms of recommending a good tire.

One of the most underrated tires at the moment is the General Grabber ATX; it does everything a KO2 does for 20% less money.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts

I had cord separation and BS trying to get them warrantied, twice. Dry rot, and lousy ride quality about halfway through their life, which left me with a bad taste, so never again for them. Some people love them and will defend them like a loved family member lol. Then there's people like myself that will never buy them again.

Reactions: Jab1719

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
494 Posts
Those Michelin tires can’t be worse than the GY SRAs that come on jk sports. Had a ‘15 jk...2 doors, 3 pedals, soft top...fun little Jeep. I could slide around corners without trying in the rain. Upgraded to GY duratracs after 3 months. Huge improvement

Can’t speak to general grabbers specifically but I’ve run general brand tires on past vehicles. ‘99 Ford ranger & ‘06 Ford Escape. Tires & vehicles performed & served me well

·
Registered
111 Posts
Those Michelin tires can’t be worse than the GY SRAs that come on jk sports. Had a ‘15 jk...2 doors, 3 pedals, soft top...fun little Jeep. I could slide around corners without trying in the rain. Upgraded to GY duratracs after 3 months. Huge improvement

Can’t speak to general grabbers specifically but I’ve run general brand tires on past vehicles. ‘99 Ford ranger & ‘06 Ford Escape. Tires & vehicles performed & served me well
My JK also came with SRAs and they were actually a horrible tire with no real redeeming qualities other than they were round and black and quiet on the highway.

My JL came with Kevlar ATs. They are a compromise tire that does everything on and off road pretty well but nothing great. They have 30k miles on them and are half done. I'll probably run them out and buy another set of duratracs.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
I had cord separation and BS trying to get them warrantied, twice. Dry rot, and lousy ride quality about halfway through their life, which left me with a bad taste, so never again for them. Some people love them and will defend them like a loved family member lol. Then there's people like myself that will never buy them again.

Are you talking about the Nittos?

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I was talking about Michelin Tires and my experiences with them. The OP mentioned them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts