Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, just got a few questions that I'm sure have been answered a 1000 times but I can't find em'... (These are question pertaining to my mom's 2015 JKU Sahara.)

1.) She isn't really big into offroading but would like the look/capability if she ever decided to... (I know that the JK is perfectly capable even in stock form) but is a lift required to run a 285/75/16? I've given her my old tires that I ran on my H3 before I went up to 315's... (She doesn't really want a lift if she doesn't have to, but also doesn't want to rub anything when driving on paved roads)

2.) She has found a set of 16x8.5 wheels which should probably push the wheels out a bit further away from the suspension components (Level 8 Punch wheels, one has a +18 offset and the other has a -6 offset?) that she really likes which will fit the 285's just fine, but does having a different offset/back spacing compared to stock wheels, 18's, make it where you won't rub/need a lift? (She doesn't really plan on articulating/flexing like I do...)

3.)Also, will she need to recalibrate/retune anything? I've read somewhere that the Pentastar 3.6l with the 5 speed auto can handle "33's" just fine, but just want to make sure that she remains close to the same driving characteristics that she has right now in stock form... she wants to keep the same practicality that she is now used to as well...

Again I'm sorry for bugging you guys with these question... I know a ton about modifying a Hummer H3 but very little about modding a jeep and don't want to blow through money on stuff that isn't really required...

Thanks guys, happy wheeling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a 32.8x11.22x16. Pretty much a narrow 33" tire. She does not need a lift to run these. Only wheels with less back spacing. 5.0 or less.
She most likely will have recalibrate for the new tire diameter, especially with a auto Trans.
Haha, yeah "Almost" a 33 incher, thank you kjeeper! So would the AEV ProCal Module be a good choice for recalibration? Figured AEV is a good company when it comes to Jeeps. Also how do you use the ProCal? The instructions online are kinda vague on how exactly you readjust things without a screen...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Haha, yeah "Almost" a 33 incher, thank you kjeeper! So would the AEV ProCal Module be a good choice for recalibration? Figured AEV is a good company when it comes to Jeeps. Also how do you use the ProCal? The instructions online are kinda vague on how exactly you readjust things without a screen...
Yep .. The only other choice is the SC flashCal, but it's somewhat new.

I'm not sure how to use the Procal. My understanding is you set the parameters before plunging it in.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I see a lot of these posts where poeple say that 285/70 or even 285/75 won't rub. I guess my 2014 rubi was the exception. 285/70/17 on 4.5 BS rubbed. Both the air dam and the fenders in the back. In fact they still rub the fender in the back with a 3/4" spacer at full stuff, just the tiniest bit. I think I am perfectly set up with that, because they hit the bumpstops before they rub.

I think the answer to the question is "it is possible for them to rub, but on the road they won't". 285/75 are taller then my 285/70s...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks stumblin... yeah she'll spend most of her time on-road or driving down dirt roads... She's just not into offroading like most, repairs cost too much, haha...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts