Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the Jeep this afternoon checking the alignment, greasing the steering components, and re-centering the steering wheel when I noticed this sitting inside the passenger side front coil spring.

Cobalt blue Finger Electric blue Hand Thumb

I'm not sure what it is, nor what it is for. It did take a bit of work to get it out from inside the coil, as it was a bit too large to fit between the bottom couple coils. It looks like it could have fallen out of the bottom of the bumpstop, but I can't tell for sure. Anyone know what this is, or if it is mission critical to get to work next week?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I took the front passenger side wheel off this afternoon after hearing some squeaking as I shook the front end via the bumper. Everything seems pretty solid, although the top shock mount was a bit loose. I tightened it down which made it a little better, but I can't imagine the bushing up there could have made it all the way down the factory shock boot-like cover and into the coil. I'm still stumped. Going to take it around the block in a bit to see if it still rides OK. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
As soon as you mentioned shock.... I got the vision of s shock bushing stuck in my head. Though most don't look quite like that, it has a possibility.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did try to get the top shock bolt loosened up so I could look at it but no such luck. The bolt was free spinning and I couldn't really get a good grip on it to get the nut off. It was also close to dinner and the kids bed time, so I didn't have much time to fight with it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just drove it around the block with a couple hard stops and left turns. Seems like everything was OK. After I got back I shook the front end and the squeak has diminished quite a bit.

I'm still not really a fan of having parts falling off the Jeep, especially when I don't know where they are coming from...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Are you the first owner?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One previous owner. I bought it ('99) with about 36K in 2002. Still stock everything minus the steering stabilizer. Everything is on the list to upgrade.....just waiting for the funding.....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I can't imagine the bushing up there could have made it all the way down the factory shock boot-like cover and into the coil. I'm still stumped. Going to take it around the block in a bit to see if it still rides OK. Any other ideas?
Assuming they aren't original shocks, it could be the bushing from an old set that fell in while the old shocks were being replaced, and the person who did the replacing might have been unable to track down where the bushing went... I've had assorted parts and tools (usually sockets) disappear completely in similar fashion, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And this basically fell out as I was pulling out the bushing (or whatever it is) from inside the coil spring. Maybe what's left of the bump stop?

Hand Finger Thumb

·
Registered
350 Posts
That a bump stop?

·
Registered
274 Posts
rjpark36 said:
And this basically fell out as I was pulling out the bushing (or whatever it is) from inside the coil spring. Maybe what's left of the bump stop?
Yeah that's deteriorated a lot!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So for regular city driving, will I be OK without replacing the bump stop for a bit?

I don't plan on getting off the pavement in the near future (bummer....), at least until I can get everything back to par. The other bump stops are pretty bad too. I plan on upgrading with a Zone 4.25" Combo lift, but I'm waiting on a promotion, which is litterally going to take an act of Congress. I'm hoping sometime this winter.....

·
Registered
981 Posts
That sir, is a stabilizer bushing for the Flux Capacitor. Luckly Jeeps can't actually go 88MPH, so you will never need it.

(Actually, thinking more about it, they are probably right. I think that has to do with the shock bushing)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wattapunk said:
that does look like the bushing that sits through the stud on top of the front shocks between the washers.
So if it is actually the bushing, am I ok to drive on it for a bit? Nothing offroad, only city driving. She seemed to handle OK around the block yesterday.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SinfulDragon said:
That sir, is a stabilizer bushing for the Flux Capacitor. Luckly Jeeps can't actually go 88MPH, so you will never need it.

(Actually, thinking more about it, they are probably right. I think that has to do with the shock bushing)
Thanks for the comic relief! I'm pretty sure 88 is out of the question.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts