Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is, does this YJ Jeep have a body lift or body and suspension lift.

It has 33-12.5R15s on it. They scrub on tight turns.

I can see what looks like 2" or 3" spacers on the body. It looks like two spacers, the stock ones plus other taller ones.

It looks like 1" spacers on the transfer case. Does that mean it has a suspension lift as well.

Front shackles look long to me.

My issue is my Mercedes Diesel oil pan it hitting the Banjo on the front differential. It looks like they cut a corner off it trying to add some clearance, but it is not enough.

It will hit the differential way before the bump stops. Huge space on the bump stops, but only an inch or more on the clearance between the oil pan and differential.

Photos follow. Please advise me as what I have here.

Shackles look long here. I'll guess that is part of the body lift.

Will 33" tires normally fit on a 2" or 3" body lift?

U-Bolts look short on one side and long on the outer side. No skid plates on bottom. These look original except for the U-bolts looking weird. I have no idea if these are original springs or not.

Sway bar bushing does not look new.

Mercedes Diesel Oil pan. This has been modded, and needs more, IMHO.

Body mounts. I'll guess the upper larger one is the amount of lift and the smaller one is the original? I did not measure, but I'll guess 2" or a bit more of body lift.

Ok, this looks to me like a 1" drop I've read about on the transfer case. That is only done one suspension lifts, AFAIK. Or is this stock?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Can't see any pics but...
2" spacers would be a 2" body lift...

Shackles are not part of a body lift... they are a poor suspension lift
Stock shackles have bolt holes spaced at 4" on center...

Any space at all between t case and frame would be a drop
Since your drivetrain is not stock there is a chance that your rear driveshaft is shorter than stock requiring the drop

Here is a pic of my yj w 33's and a 4.5" suspension lift and no body lift for you to compare

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here is a big clue. Rough Country 22 shocks were installed. I also held a straight edge which is 2" high up against the spacers.

Should there be a plate or something here to meet the rubber bump stop?

These shackles must be stock?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't see any pics but...
2" spacers would be a 2" body lift...

<snip>
Since your drivetrain is not stock there is a chance that your rear driveshaft is shorter than stock requiring the drop

Here is a pic of my yj w 33's and a 4.5" suspension lift and no body lift for you to compare

That makes sense. So it seems like I have only a 2" body lift. Should there be something for the bumpstops to hit?

I'm thinking I need another 2-3" of suspension lift to clear the differential, and something for the bumpstops to hit to prevent the oil pan from hitting the differential.

I was going to try to add spacers to the front motor mounts. wondering if that will mess up my driveline...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question. I know they had to pull the fuel tank for the diesel return line. Does this look like a stock fuel tank? It looks big to me.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You can.... and I still don't see any pics....

Click "go advanced" and then scroll down to "manage attachments"

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I uploaded pictures in the first post and check them to see they were loaded. I have no idea what happened to them The upload process is cumbersome to put it mildly Why cant I upload them directly instead of having to host them elsewhere.

https://nightsailor.imgur.com/all/

I was going to try to help but your imgur account only shows some Colt 1911's on it lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts