Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the deal.

I have been trying to figure this out for the better part of a year. It's been in multiple shops and they never can find anything wrong.

So sometimes my Jeep drives like a dream and the suspension is smooth, and other times there is a vibration and the suspension is harsh and I drive the same route to and from work every day. It only switches after I have reversed like pulling out of a parking spot. It doesn't switch as long as I am moving forward or stopped, only after reversing. And it will vibrate at all speeds (the vibration feels more like tire balance than death wobble, but the tires are balanced since it sometimes drives smooth).

Anyone have any sort of idea? My only thought is that after reversing, something is binding and it doesn't unbind till I reverse again. But it doesn't switch on every reverse, maybe every other one. And what would cause the suspension to be harsh? :banghead:

I have 3" EVO plush ride coils, Rancho adjustable shocks, AEV correction brackets, Synergy drag link and flip kit, 34" Toyo AT2 tires, Teraflex rear trackbar bracket (axle side).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Have you tried loosening all the control arms and bouncing the front and rear end a few times, then retorquing everything on level ground? Just a thought to eliminate a binding arm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention I have done that about 5 times. Had it aligned and they adjusted a few things but didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the tires or coils (doesn't matter what temp it is). It drives perfectly some days. Someone suggested the spline on the rear driveshaft could be sticking causing vibration and not letting the suspension cycle properly.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
550 Posts
This sounds like an issue I have. My vibration comes and goes and not necessarily after I have been in reverse. It can go a couple/ few days without happening and sometimes it will happen a couple of times a day. I can't figure it out either. Have had the tries balanced twice and have checked all I can think of under the Jeep. I was thinking of getting a new steering stabilizer... Not sure this is the answer, but I'm at a loss.

If you figure something or if anybody has an idea, please post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The steering stabilizer won't fix normal vibrations. I took my front driveshaft off and disconnected the rear driveshaft to make sure the splines weren't sticking. I would suggest doing that to rule out the front driveshaft. You could even put the front back on and take the rear off to rule out the rear driveshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts