Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, used SuperBrightLED 's and replaced the five (5) lamps in instrument cluster. Did not replace any of the idiot lamps.

Prior to starting this project my shift indicator worked fine. Now it DOES NOT.

In light of this (pun intended) I ran the cluster / lamp diagnostic sequence and the shift indicator DOES appear to light up.

Any help is appreciated before I rip the dash apart again! I do not simply want to swap bulb after bulb if I can avoid it, trying to troubleshoot if someone has experience with this issue(!).

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Not sure why you are interested in that useless light saying when the PCM thinks you should shift. Being a manual guy you know when you want to shift without the gimmicky light

If you did not change the bulb and you are sure it is not burnt out then i have no idea why it only lights on diagnostic

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was almost overjoyed that it failed , since I don't need anyone else telling me when to shift! But, the fact that it failed when I'm shifting and not on the dash test is bothering me and I'd like to sort it out ...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.

The 4x4 bulbs work too now I know (I tested them) but that's probably a sensor, I'd like for that idiot light to work too!

Call me crazy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's odd but Id be happy as heck if mine didn't work. Although I know what you mean. I replaced my t case switch just for my part time light to come on

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much is that transfer case switch anyway? It's on the short list of things to do when it gets a little warmer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
$12-13 for the Dorman switch vs $25-30 for the BWD at o'Reilly's.

The BWD works consistently in my '99 where the Dorman would only work intermittently.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

On a note related to the original idiot light issue, the shift light started to work very intermittently. So, this was becoming even more and more frustrating so I took the gauges out and swapped the shift light for a bulb I knew worked - the Check Engine Light. Now my Shift Light works again.

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
395 Posts
Thanks guys.

On a note related to the original idiot light issue, the shift light started to work very intermittently. So, this was becoming even more and more frustrating so I took the gauges out and swapped the shift light for a bulb I knew worked - the Check Engine Light. Now my Shift Light works again.

LOL.....and now that pesky check engine doesn't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts