1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Leesburg, VA here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live in Ashburn and just got my first Jeep a month ago. I have been having trouble finding places online to go offroading for beginners. It seems confusing with all the rules concerning permits and laws and stuff. I'm new to all this and just want to find a place locally to drive without making a weekend out of it. Any advice?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I live in Ashburn and just got my first Jeep a month ago. I have been having trouble finding places online to go offroading for beginners. It seems confusing with all the rules concerning permits and laws and stuff. I'm new to all this and just want to find a place locally to drive without making a weekend out of it. Any advice?
Hey NoVAGrrl82,

There are at least three of us who live just down the road from you in CountrySide. Sorry it seems so confusing. I bought my JK last year and started out on Wrangler Forum, too.

There are lots of places that you can take your JKU off the pavement around here (meaning within a 2 hr drive) and not tear it up. There's Red Cloud Off-Road Park near Woodbridge. There's also Peter's Mill in the George Washington National Forest near Edinburg. The Big Dog events out near Winchester, and lastly the new Chaos Off-Road Park near Capon Bridge, WV.

A little further away you have miles and miles of George Washington National Forest road including the well-known Flagpole run. Lastly, you have Rausch Creek up in PA which is sort of the wheeling Mecca for those in the NoVa area. You can do these as day trips.

Peter's Mill opens early April as does Red Cloud.
Chaos is open this coming weekend for an event. Many trails are stock friendly.
Big Dogs has an event in April. Trails are varied. I love the Big Dogs event.
GWNF trails, for the most part, is open year round and stock friendly.

Recommend that you join one of the many clubs in the area.
I'm a member of NOVA Jeepers and VA Jeep Offroad on Facebook. There is also the Off Camber Crawlers club. Good club.

Best thing for you to do is head up to Rausch Creek for 101/201 training. The trails are great and the instructor will take good care of you.

PM me and I'll make some other suggestions.

1 - 20 of 561 Posts