Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

541 - 560 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Representing Annandale here. Anyone know of any stock-friendly trails in the area? The only ones I've heard of are in GW National Forest and that feels a lot like commitment.
schumway,

I had done Big Dog in stock a couple of times before I lifted mine and there are plenty of trails there to do as stock. I've also wheeled at Chaos and when I was there for an event there were tons of stock Jeeps there as well. Did Peter's Mill Stock and last weekend did the Canaan Valley Loop and it could easily been done in stock form.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Checking in from Herndon here.
@JLasher22443 I’ve been following your build thread since I got my Recon checking your progress and taking notes. Pretty cool knowing you’re in the same neck of the woods.

I finally got mine off road for the first time this past week down in the outer banks. I’m still all stock except for a HU I threw in to replace the stock 130 (Alpine ILX-F309) and a tire cover. Like I said taking notes for now and trying to get out a little and see what she can handle on some of the lighter courses. I’m thinking the guy behind the wheel might be holding her back until I get the feel of it lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Checking in from Herndon here.

@JLasher22443 I’ve been following your build thread since I got my Recon checking your progress and taking notes. Pretty cool knowing you’re in the same neck of the woods.

I finally got mine off road for the first time this past week down in the outer banks. I’m still all stock except for a HU I threw in to replace the stock 130 (Alpine ILX-F309) and a tire cover. Like I said taking notes for now and trying to get out a little and see what she can handle on some of the lighter courses. I’m thinking the guy behind the wheel might be holding her back until I get the feel of it lol.

Congrats! Looks good in its element. I’ll be in OBX in September.

Well the next time I’m headed out I’ll send you a message here to see if you want to tag along. You would be amazed at what she can do stock; I know I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Well the next time I’m headed out I’ll send you a message here to see if you want to tag along. You would be amazed at what she can do stock; I know I was.

Best time to goto obx.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts

Right on bro. We used to go down in September until the kids starting going to school then had to switch to a school friendly schedule. Enjoy and maybe we can hit a trail soon. :action-smiley::action-smiley:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I moved from southern nova to northern nova recently. Lucketts. Currently looking for a shop to install my steinjager 4" lift kit i bought at OCJW a few weeks ago.

on another note.....I was looking at a map and saw that there is what appears to be access roads or trails going from Corolla, NC all the way up to Sandbridge, VA. Does anyone know if this is drivable? or is it fenced/locked? I would love to take a really nice slow drive from NoVA down to Corolla and that looked like it could be my ticket.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I moved from southern nova to northern nova recently. Lucketts. Currently looking for a shop to install my steinjager 4" lift kit i bought at OCJW a few weeks ago.

on another note.....I was looking at a map and saw that there is what appears to be access roads or trails going from Corolla, NC all the way up to Sandbridge, VA. Does anyone know if this is drivable? or is it fenced/locked? I would love to take a really nice slow drive from NoVA down to Corolla and that looked like it could be my ticket.
You aren't that far from Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester. I give them a hearty endorsement.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Whoa let us know if you find out anything more on this...I’d be very interested to know more about this as well. Maybe try asking in the general discussion forum.

·
Registered
23,963 Posts

Simple answer is no.

No you cannot drive the beach from VA to NC.

That said, yes, you can drive the beach from Corolla to the VA state line. there is a fence up and you cannot go through it. The bottom side of VA. out there is False Cape State park.. You can only walk it if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Checking in from NoVA. New to the Jeep world and in dire need of a good mechanic in the Arlington, Falls Church, Tyson’s area.

I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with mechanics since purchasing this ‘12 JKU. The good thing is, it’s taught me a ton about my Jeep! So that’s cool.

So I first took my Jeep to a Mr. Tire after having new wheels installed to get an alignment and an oil change. After 2 hours, the mechanic told me he couldn’t do the alignment because my steering components were all rusted together. He told me they had a Jeep guy who should look at it. So I was like, cool! I’ll be back. I ended up installing a new track, drag, tie and control arm relo’s myself and made an appt with the Jeep guy for the alignment. I headed back in at my scheduled time to meet the Jeep guy, only to hear that he left for the day. They apologized and told me he’d be back the next morning, and booked me for his first opening at 8:30. When I arrived, no Jeep guy. They now told me he was out of town. Fine, whatever. I asked them to just do the alignment, they insisted I wait for the guy. They were going to call him, then call me back once they found out when he’d be coming back. Fine. They called and it was going to be a week. After all of the back and forth, I decided to just hit a dealership.

So I took it into Koons. After making an appt, they told me it would be less than an hour, great! Over 2 hours later, I drove off but quickly noticed it was pulling left. Took it right back and asked them to correct it and to review the print out, which they didn’t provide. After another hour, it was back out, no print out and the axle was misaligned on the body. I asked again to show me the print out. After some scrambling, I was told the printer is broken. So nearly 4 hours later, I now had to start from scratch with adjusting my track bar and drag link to recenter the axle, and of course, get another alignment. I was furious, late for a call and couldn’t even bring myself to argue with them over it anymore. Fast fwd a month, I hear some clanking noise coming from the drivers wheel. It’s getting louder and louder as I’m driving 25 mph with my hazards desperately searching for a mechanic on a Sunday. Low and behold, another Mr Tire! I pull in and it turns out both front tire lugs were loose, especially the drivers side which was literally about to come flying off. Apparently Koons forgot to tighten them!

Anyway, I’m just looking for a good, honest mechanic close by that knows how to work on Jeeps. My latest issue is a leaking inner axle seal. I’m tempted to do it myself, but since it’s my DD, I need it done right and fast.

Has anyone had a good experience with someone local?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had a good experience with someone local?
Hey man, sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with mechanics in the area. They're so hit-or-miss and I feel like you end up missing most of the time...especially at dealerships. I take my JK to Capital Car Care in Springfield (Fairfax County). I understand it's not in your exact area, but it's not far from you and it's right off of 495 at the Braddock Rd. exit.

https://capitalcarcarespringfield.com/

It's a family-run business that I've been going to for years. The owner drives a JKU and knows his stuff. Most importantly, he fixes what needs to be fixed and will tell you what can or can't wait.

I trust them.

Some things to note:
1) They're super busy. You'll probably need to end up leaving your car for a day or two before they get around to making repairs. Minor things like oil changes or inspections can usually be done in an hour or two if you make an appointment.

2) They're a little on the pricier side. We're not talking dealership rates, but you'll definitely pay more than you would at a Mr. Tire or Jiffy Lube...but I trust the service and, to me, that's worth it.

Best of luck.

541 - 560 of 561 Posts