Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Novak T-Case Cable Shifter help

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  tjandlax 
#1 ·
Having trouble getting the transfer case into 2hi. I cant seem to figure out the position the rotator bracket that attaches the yolk end of the cable to the transfer case needs to be in for 2hi.

#4 ·
Now when I shift at the rotator plate on the transfer case it pops pack as soon as I take pressure off. And the jeep is behaving like it is in neutral, it wont go into drive or reverse. This has been my first experience installing something it hasn't gone well.

#6 ·
Im not really sure what it was in when we first installed it. A friend of mine was helping and he was putting the cable in. i took the cable back out so its just the brackets in now. does the tab on the tc have to be connected to a linkage in order for it to stay in

#8 ·
I installed mine with both the transfer case and shifter in 2 high rather than 4 low. I had trouble shifting the transfer case by hand as well, but when I hooked up the cable with both ends adjusted to about the mid-point on the threads everything worked fine. You could have the transfer case and shifter out of sequence (4low and 2 high,etc.), but it doesn't seem like the cable would line up right if that were the case.

#11 ·
I get confused when I'm upside down working with right side up instructions and photos. I put mine on fairly easily, however I did try to put the rotator arm on upside down....figured it out before I bolted everything down....it really only fits one way, but I tried!

I also had to use my own creativity in routing the cable for the least interference with other things in the area.

I'd reread the instructions, and set the shifter as the directions say and go from there. You have to adjust the t-case yoke to line up with the rotator lever.....don't try to adjust both ends at the same time, it will drive you crazy.

And then I had my wife shift up above while I watched down below to make sure everything looked like it should work.

Good luck....you'll love the Novak!

#12 ·
the biggest struggle right now is that i cant get the transfer case to shift from what im guessing is 4N right now. I took the cable out and all that is left is bracket that hooks onto the case and the anchor brackets. I am just trying to shift into 2hi or 4hi or 4lo by hand and get it to stay there and it just slips back. If i can get it to do that they i can move the handle to correspond with the transfer case and install the cable.

#13 ·
It won't go into 4lo and stay without the drive train actually moving some. It will pop into 2hi-4hi thought. Just make sure shifter and level match positions, attach and tighten. You could probably get the tires off the ground which would let you spin the drive shafts and get into 4lo if that's what's the directions call for. It's been a while.

#16 ·
I believe the instructions say oyu need the transfer case in 4 low to do the install, in order to put the tcase In 4 low try putting the tranny in neutral.... calm down and call novak in the morning, they are extremely helpful.

#17 ·
The Novak directions state both the shift lever and Tcase should be in 2Hi. As mentioned by Golden get the all 4 tires off the ground, while holding the lever fully forward (2Hi position) rotate the driveline. This should allow the Tcase to complete the shift into 2Hi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.