Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone's JK having a problem with the driver seat belt sensor going off in the dash even though its buckled in? Its not a big deal but still bugs me. Its like the Jeep is an attention hog that constantly wants to be worked on

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
The Jeep is an attention hog that constantly wants to be worked on!

Schema of the seat belt buckle sensor:

GUID-10-000-064-2886678.jpg

From the service manual:

The driver side seat belt switch is designed to control a path to ground for the seat belt switch sense input of the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The passenger side seat belt switch is designed to control a sense input to the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC). Both the mechanical driver side seat belt switch and the Hall Effect passenger side seat belt switch are actuated by the seat belt tip-half latch plate being engaged by the latch mechanism of the seat belt buckle-half.

The TIPM monitors the driver side seat belt switch status through the hard wired input, then controls the illumination of the seat belt indicator and the generation of audible electronic chime tones by sending electronic messages to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The ORC monitors the passenger side seat belt switch and Occupant Detection Sensor (ODS) input status through hard wired inputs. If the ORC logic determines that the seat belt is not buckled while the seat is occupied, it sends an electronic message to the EMIC over the CAN data bus requesting seat belt indicator illumination.

The driver side seat belt switch receives ground through its connection to the body wire harness from another take out of the body wire harness. An eyelet terminal connector on that ground take out is secured under a ground screw. The driver side seat belt switch is connected in series between ground and the driver side seat belt switch sense input of the TIPM. The passenger side seat belt switch receives a clean ground from the ORC and is connected in series between the clean ground and the passenger side seat belt switch input of the ORC.

The hard wired circuits between the seat belt switches and the TIPM (driver side) or ORC (passenger side) may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the switches or the electronic controls and communication between other modules and devices that provide features of the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). The most reliable, efficient and accurate means to diagnose the seat belt switches or the electronic controls and communication related to seat belt switch operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Anyone's JK having a problem with the driver seat belt sensor going off in the dash even though its buckled in? Its not a big deal but still bugs me. Its like the Jeep is an attention hog that constantly wants to be worked on
mine recently started to act up so I need to replace mine, I am going to try parts cleaner first to see if its just something in the buckle first before replacing the part...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts