Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in central Mexico and do volunteer work for a charity here. That work has me driving into the countryside, which is always dusty. Being concerned with all the dust I pull in, I decided to upgrade my air intake system, thinking it would do a better job. Now, after reading a LOT of negative comments about aftermarket CAIs, I'm concerned about making the change.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I live in central Mexico and do volunteer work for a charity here. That work has me driving into the countryside, which is always dusty. Being concerned with all the dust I pull in, I decided to upgrade my air intake system, thinking it would do a better job. Now, after reading a LOT of negative comments about aftermarket CAIs, I'm concerned about making the change.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Put the stock box back in and use a factory filter. Your Jeep will thank you.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,001 Posts
Put the stock box back in and use a factory filter. Your Jeep will thank you.
^^^Excellent advice!!! Also, make sure that you keep your air induction clamps tight! And yes, use a MOPAR filter element.

I live in dusty Phoenix AZ and change my air filter element every 6000 miles!

·
Registered
669 Posts
use a dry filter and put a sock over it.. most aftermarket filters have an extra cover aka sock .. that you can add for extra protection ..

but a really high dust place like the desert i got to agree with the others post..

use a stock filter and box and change your filter often...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. Sounds like sage advice. Now all I have to do is figure out how to sell the K&N here in Mexico!

·
OVRLNDR
1,802 Posts
You guys crack me up. K&N may not be your best choice and I do agree with the majority there are other options if you have the coin. Yes, it is more cost effective to frequently replace the stock air filter but if you decided that isn't your cup of tea and want to prolong that replacement then buy a snorkel and precleaner. For less than 500 U.S. dollars you can get the AEV system that does just that. Independent testing has confirmed that that setup will last 5x's longer between changes. Not cost effective but convenient plus you can forde that river (with other mods). Just my 2 cents. Oh, I don't have the AEV but I do have that setup. Just more in depth.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The stock system does a great job on my 2015 JKU Sahara. Open the hood and take a good look at it. Compare it to the aftermarkets. Stock isn't as glamorous looking, but it basically is/does the same job!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a quality CAI. A K&N filter however will pass more dirt than most other filters and is not a good choice for any vehicle that drives on dirt. If you are running the stock air box Wix makes good quality replacement filters.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
All great advice, also Google your factory Air Filter part# and buy a case of them for pennies on the Dollar online. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts