Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i engage 4wd sounds like chain slipping on sprocket. Jeep front wheels will not turn. Anyone have a video or suggestion on removing back cover of transfer case to replace chain.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Youtube has some excellent videos for rebuilding that transfer case.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
It is by far a ton easier to pull the t-case out of the vehicle to replace the chain.

I myself would get a master rebuild kit for the t-case and do a total rebuild on it. Since you will need most of the seals that are in the kit anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information, great video. Do you know the best site for prices on np231j transfer case chain?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watched video everything was good lots of slack in chain. I found 2 clips around the magnetic washer. Looking on the internet the clips go with the Shift Mode Synchronizer having problems figuring out how they go back in place. If anyone has some experience that would help me I would appreciate the help Thank you.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Watched video everything was good lots of slack in chain. I found 2 clips around the magnetic washer. Looking on the internet the clips go with the Shift Mode Synchronizer having problems figuring out how they go back in place. If anyone has some experience that would help me I would appreciate the help Thank you.
Ebay is the cheapest place to find a chain, and what clips are they? C-clips? The syncro keys? Post a picture or find a picture of what you mean please

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Synco keys

I'm looking for a video on installing synco keys. When I opened the case they were laying at the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm looking for a video on installing synco keys. When I opened the case they were laying at the bottom of the case.
There's a little circular retaining spring that fits in the syncronizer hub that puts pressure against the keys to keep them in place.

Here's a video, start at 2:15 for the keys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts