Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving up the highway when I heard a oldd roaring sound (louder the wheels) when the transfer case suddenly exploded. Parts flew everywhere when I checked it it was blown oh half. Installed an sye 3 days ago so I'm sure it was something I did. Any one have any thoughts to why this happened.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
So I was driving up the highway when I heard a oldd roaring sound (louder the wheels) when the transfer case suddenly exploded. Parts flew everywhere when I checked it it was blown oh half. Installed an sye 3 days ago so I'm sure it was something I did. Any one have any thoughts to why this happened.
Unless you forgot to fill it back up with ATF, the most likely cause was the front CV died, froze up and then blew the side off the transfer case when it locked up. Happens pretty often when the CV maintenance is ignored.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what it was then. It was squeeking like crazy and I was going to put a new one on this weekend but I had work.... Just my luck. Oh well. All she needs is some elbow grease.

One more question. When the transfer case exploded it pinched my fuel line. Is there a safe way to spread them back out or should I get new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
this may be a dunb question but what do i need to do to maintain my front cv i dont wat this to happen to me.
This is likely the wrong board to say this on, :rofl: but turn the stereo down or off and listen to your rig when you drive it. It will let you know when things are going bad and need to be addressed.

Rarely to the point of almost never does the front CV joint start to fail without a lot of squeaking and chirping to let you know.

You can rebuild the centering ball with greaseable parts and stay on top of the maintenance. Cheap insurance over replacing a t-case.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
That's exactly what it was then. It was squeeking like crazy and I was going to put a new one on this weekend but I had work.... Just my luck. Oh well. All she needs is some elbow grease.

One more question. When the transfer case exploded it pinched my fuel line. Is there a safe way to spread them back out or should I get new ones.
Depends on your budget and time constraints. If you have the money and time, replace it. If you don't, you can carefully cut the pinched section out and repair it with a stainless steel compression fitting or union, zinc plated steel will work as well. Avoid copper and brass.

I do lots of fuel system work and use compression fittings quite often to adapt to soft line when I relocate fuel tanks. I've never had an issue with them. It is a very low pressure system, so the repair is pretty easy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wouldn't it need to be in 4 wheel drive for the cv to cause this? In 2wd the front output shaft should be disengaged. ????

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wouldn't it need to be in 4 wheel drive for the cv to cause this? In 2wd the front output shaft should be disengaged. ????
Nope, the front driveshaft turns all the time. It is disconnected inside the transfer case but still turns all the time because it is connected to the front axle. The front axle in a TJ does not dissconnect from the driveshaft.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree with that but if the tcase yoke freewheels until it is shifted into 4wd, wouldnt something in the case of had to bind ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
this makes me happy that i didnt put my cv rebuild off for another day lol mine was chirping like crazyy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should upload some pictures of the drive shaft and what it did. The things ruined! The jeep is healing though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I regrettably join this thread! Happened last night. I did notice some squeaking in the past 3 or 4 days but it was't very loud and only happened at speeds under 20 or so. It'll be the last time I put something like that off! I'm getting a used t-case next week and im also looking for a front drive shaft. the splines on the front end look like they got scraped up maybe when they hit the pavement. Anyway, I have to also fix a brake line and the speedo wiring so far that I can tell. I'll also pick up a service manual, wanted one anyway. I do have some good help with this project, but what Im wondering most is what other additional things might I likely need or run into while doing this? Nothing is ever simple, I know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts