Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok another question. I picked up a CV front drive shaft off CL that came off a TJ. It is a 1310 U joint. I guess I need the CV yoke on the transfer case output shaft. Local driveline shop says the NP 231 could have three different size spline shafts. Does anyone know off had what it should be? 26, 30, or 31? Pick of my TC.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You are putting this in the rear or the front? If you are putting it in the rear you need a SYE.

If you are putting it in the front i dont know what the shop is talking about spline counts are all the same as far as i know. I have a "old gear cut" NP231 and i used a front CV yoke off a 97+ XJ with the "new gear cut".

There were some changes to the NP231 over the years. But the only change i know of on the front output was on 2005ish NP231's because the had a fatter bearing but they were still the same spline count. I cant remember if the yoke fit the spline depth properly or not but i know the front bearing was wider.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I found the pic i took comparing the newer 2005ish NP231 with wide chain and wide front bearing. The spline count was the same but the splines were shorter to make up for the wide bearing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I should have been more clear, I’m putting this on the front.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Sorry I should have been more clear, I’m putting this on the front.

Any NP231 CV front yoke should work up till 2001ish but it did eventually change to a wide bearing but i dont know what year it happened. A friend of mine is a XJ lover so he gave me one of his he had laying around.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know hat year XJ’s work? I’ll go and try and source one from a junk yard.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Do you know hat year XJ’s work? I’ll go and try and source one from a junk yard.

Any year XJ with a NP231 and a front CV shaft will work. The XJ ended production in 2001 so it ended before the wide bearing stuff started. TJ's are probbaly different since production ended in 2006 but i have no proof.

The wide bearing input shaft in that picture was out of a 2004 Dodge Ram NP233 i bought off ebay to do a wide chain swap. I was unaware of the bearing change until i went to put it in my t-case :banghead:

Reactions: vmxwinn
1 - 7 of 7 Posts