Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the vacuum switch on an NP 231 transfer case?

·
Registered
339 Posts
With a wrench....:) Just kidding. It should just unscrew. Question though.....why do you want to remove it?? It does not do anything if its disconnected. Many people think that the t-case has a vac, but this is not the case. The switch has vac being applied to it, and as you move the shifter, it just routs thae vac to another port to engage your shift fork on the front diff. If you are trying to remove it because you did a 1 pc shaft on the passenger side, dont worry about it, just remove the whole vac harness from the jeep and block the port at the motor that supplies vac. to the harness....:D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it helps as far as me wanting to know how to remove it. I thought it unscrewed, but was not positive.

Anyway, the reason that I want to remove it is that I have a CAD issue. My transfer case disengaged, but the shift motor did not. I have traced all my vac lines and they are all in good condition. I pulled the vac lines off the shift motor and they are not switching depending on if I am in 4 wheel or not.

Keep in mind that the 4 wheel does disengage at the transfer case, but not the shift motor.

Anyway, I have a good vac source from the manifold to the vac switch on the transfer case. With a process of elimination, it appears that the vac switch has gone bad which is a common issue with the CAD system.

The only other possibility, I'm thinkin', is that the shift motor is hung up. I am going to pull the switch out and replace it as it is inexpensive. Also, I'm going to crack open the shift motor and clean it up, but I'm hoping not to replace it. I will replace it, too, as a last ditch.

Yeah, I know I can go posilock, but I'm trying to get off cheap. I can replace the vac switch, the entire vac harnessing, and the shift motor for a lot less than buying a posilock and installing it. I'd consider building my own before I get a store bought one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts