Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull mine out and fix it. Can I buy a 4:3 kit for it or would I be better off with an upgrade?How reliable is the 231?Is it worth fixing?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I need to pull mine out and fix it. Can I buy a 4:3 kit for it or would I be better off with an upgrade?How reliable is the 231?Is it worth fixing?
The np231 is relatively reliable...Being chain driven I would overhaul that while it's out and may be add a SYE to the back...the 4.3 kit's aint cheap so by the time you rebuild it and tally up the new parts/upgrades like the low gear kit and such you will probably be in the $1200.00+ range....for $2 grand ish you can get an atlas II and have a bullet proof case for years to come....spend more now and be done with it...and you can always take the atlas with you to another jeep down the road if need be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kmanator said:
The np231 is relatively reliable...Being chain driven I would overhaul that while it's out and may be add a SYE to the back...the 4.3 kit's aint cheap so by the time you rebuild it and tally up the new parts/upgrades like the low gear kit and such you will probably be in the $1200.00+ range....for $2 grand ish you can get an atlas II and have a bullet proof case for years to come....spend more now and be done with it...and you can always take the atlas with you to another jeep down the road if need be.
I already have the SYE. I agree I think I will save up and buy the atlas. It will probably be cheaper in the long run. And I just talked to my friend and he has a 231 I can use until then.thanks fore the input. I am new to jeeps so anything helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts