Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what I would have to do if I wanted to swap in a transfer case from a Rubicon. I have a 1 inch body lift already and an NV3550 transmission with a stock NP231 and a Woody's custom drive shaft

·
Registered
610 Posts
Linkage is different but you change or modify the original one and make it work. (I have one if you need one) Novak makes a great cable shifter.
4wd dash light won't work
My wiring worked for the speedo ( I have on 05)
Different driveshaft to bolt to the balancer or swap out the balancer to accept a SYE.
Different u joint sizes for the front driveshaft (can't remember if it's 1330 or 1310)
The difference in crawling is amazing!!!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
NP241 don't need an SYE as there is no slip yoke to eliminate. You can change or the harmonic balancer for a yoke of you want but do your research first as many day the HB is better..

·
Registered
610 Posts
I used the balancer so I wasn't positive what you needed if you eliminated the balancer.
The newer TW driveshaft has the adapter built in so you don't need the flange like the older version.
If you need the modified shifter arm let me know since the arms are different for the 231 and 241.
If you run a flat belly pan you'll notice how much space you'll need for the 241. It's been a few years since j did the swap but the weight difference is 30-40 lbs heavier approx and a lot larger.
Look into the Tera 2 Low kit as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I went with the 241 would I have any driveline vibrations? If so how hard would it be to get rid of them? And where would I be able to find a Tera Low kit for cheap?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Driveline vibrations relate to the angle of your driveshaft. So if you have a double cardan shaft and a 241 t-case, as long as the pinion is pointed to inline with the driveshaft you should be good to go. Example below:

Now understand that the 241 output is higher than the 231 so you will have to angle your pinion more. The downside is that you can get to driveshaft bind if you aren't careful (with a TT).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts