Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to disassemble my t-case and do a full rebuild include an SYE in the next few days. Then I found one on Craigslist that already has the SYE and heavy duty chain upgrade and was rebuilt 20k ago for cheap, so was considering that.

Before I jump on it, can anyone confirm that a 1994 YJ with 5 speed and 4 cylinder NP231J will fit directly in my 91 5 speed 4 cylinder? Both are AX5s, I believe.

Wanted to be sure before I bought it.

Denis

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
They are both Aisin AX5 trans in those years that you specified, so the swap should be a bolt in without a hassle. Even if the output shaft on yours would differ for some strange reason, if you have them on the floor, side by side, then changing the input gear is pretty simple project with a socket set and a good pair of snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The only difference I know with these motors is the accessories on the engine. I know the power steering pump and mount is different and I believe the belt is different. You can do, but make sure you get all of the accessories with the engine.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
it will fit, both are 21 spline. just put a case from a 95 in my 87, just had to change the speedometer gear.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool deal! I'll call them today and see if I can go pick up the t-case. That'll save me a small fortune in buy SYE parts and rebuild parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.