Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning folks,
My 2008 Wrangler is at the trans shop right now and I am hesitant on replacing/rebuilding the manual transmission on it. It has the NSG-370 and I have heard a lot of negative things about it online. Has anyone had any experience with conversions? What works? Is it worth it or should I buy a refurbished NSG-370. Can they rebuild it with better parts? I do not know much when it comes to transmissions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray

On a side note when I dropped of my Jeep the guy drove it right into the side of his brick building. Thank God for steel bumpers!!! He is going to need some tuck pointing and I got one hell of laugh out of it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone swapping the trans out for a different one in the JK. As far as I know, there are no differences in the internals over the years (minus the gear ratios).

What failed exactly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Synchro

It will throw out of 1st and reverse. Reverse with a grinding noise. If I am cruising in 3rd gear I have to hold it in gear or it will fall out occasionally. I read that this is a common problem with this transmission. I have 35s and a 3.5 inch lift and am not necessarily gentle on it off road.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Cheaper to buy a whole jeep with the auto, than to do a swap. If the rest of the jeep is good, just do a rebuild. I would not buy a refurb, unless something is damaged beyond repair in your NSG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that it is cheaper to buy a rebuilt one than rebuilding it. My uneducated guess was that the syncho or gear I need is attached to the main shaft in the trans. I suppose I will have more info when the mechanic calls me back tomorrow. I hate having to drop it off somewhere, but trans work is not my forte.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Ah, I would price out both in your area. If you get a good core refund maybe it would be cheaper. Labor is your killer, unless you do it yourself. Going to be spendy either way. A good tranny shop might be able to uprate your tranny in the rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trans guy said that all the places he called are sold out of refurbished nsg370's. All that does is lead me to believe that the trans is a POS. He couldn't find anything out about conversions as well. Looks like I will end up having to get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The trans guy said that all the places he called are sold out of refurbished nsg370's. All that does is lead me to believe that the trans is a POS. He couldn't find anything out about conversions as well. Looks like I will end up having to get it rebuilt.
Sold out on refurbs means there aren't a lot of cores in supply, which means most of the transmissions are still in the original vehicle...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trans was not worth rebuilding. I called around and found the best price at factorychrystlerparts.com $3035 plus $1000 core deposit. 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty. It just solidifies the fact that I can never get rid of it now. Not that I would ever want to. Worst part is I found out today that I have to have my second wrist surgery this year and will be in a cast for another 2-4 months. I won't have my shifting hand! I should have bought an automatic! The first thing my buddy told me when I got the Jeep. That is stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. It's all worth the joy it brings to me and whoever I take off the beaten path! I will let you guys know how it's running in a week or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts