Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 24 months I dumped and filled it with Pennzoil synchromesh. It seemed to help at the time, but anythings better then bone dry, factory under filled -never checked and told Otherwise way that it was. I guess at 52 months it's prime trip to dump and fill with Redline or Royal Purple. The 2nd gear up shift grind is really really grinding my gears.

So I ask which brand is better? I'm leaning towards purple.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
That are a few good brands to use. There's nothing wrong with Redline; great fluid. I use Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh. It's up to you.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I am going to put Redline in mine. I use it in my Harley and it eliminates the Harley clunk when it is shifted into 1st.

How much is needed to fill the trans?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love the Redline MTL. I have 93k on my transmission and it was popping out of 3rd gear pretty regularly after a shift. I thought for sure I was needing to replace/rebuild the tranny but thought I would try a fluid change first. All I have to say is man what a difference! It shifts better now than I ever thought it would. It also slides right into reverse which it wouldn't do before. On a side note, my T-Case shifts much nicer with the Valvoline synthetic "transfer case fluid" as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tried everything on my LJ with nsg trans. Redline performed the best. AMSoil second, RP third, Pennzoil worst. None completely cured the crunch or popping out permanently. The thing just crunches, rattles, and pops. And it only had 55k when it started.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Redline it is! And good call on the transfer case, will be doing that also. Just did diffs a few weeks ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts