Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've found a used 241 out of an 06 Rubicon. its got 45k on it and their asking $1250.
First off, is that a fair asking price?
Second, after buying new yokes to fit my current drive shafts, a new pig tail for the 4 hi/lo switch and whatever other odds and ends ill need to get it to swap into my 98, ill probably be around the $1600 range I'm thinking? I have the ability to pick up a tera low, new, for about $850. My budget can cover the 241, but its obviously nicer to spend less if you can. Should I just fork out the extra money for the 241, or spend half the money and hope I can baby my tera low enough not to blow it up, and if I do, buy another one and still be around the same price?

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
It is a big pig that will likely requiring hammer up your floor pan and a different skid plate

A trrralow is ok but only for low speed and a much weaker design

Why do you want a 4:1 low as except for rock crawling it is less practice for most other situations

Depending if on it it came from a 5apd vs auto you may have input shaft length issues

They wear out too and are much pricier to fix

If you don't have a need for a 4:1 low you can beef up a 231 with a 6 planet cage from a chevy 241 and a wider chain and sprocket from a
231d-HD for much much less

Also unless running 410 gears and 33 tires figure another expense for a speedohealer if you want an accurate speedo as no speedo gear in Rubi case to change out

Not a bad swap just kinda difficult and pretty expensive for something you may or may not get much out of

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have a 2000 TJ and swapped in a NV241. It is a big PITA. If you decide to do a TT later on, plan on figuring out how to keep the rear driveshaft from binding. It's a big issue for me right now but I plan on trying to find creative solutions to help solve my problems.

All I can say is do a bunch of research before going down that road.

BTW, I think $1200 is too much for that t-case but I suppose the market in your area is what will drive the price. I picked mine up for $400 in perfect working order. There have been others that have gone for around $800.

In addition to a speedohealer, plan on a Savvy cable shifter too. You will also need some spacers for transmission mount.

Here is a link to my mess:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/best-tt-option-use-241-non-rubicon-2375889/

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I have a Rubicon and Already have the NV241; I was under the impression the the TJ Bodies are all the same; So why is it such a pain to get the NV241 under a Non Rubicon? Is it just the skid plate??

Also, I'm running 33s with the stock 4.11 and im not having any issues with Speedo Matching actual speed; Checked it with several GPS

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
The skid play for sure and the tub bottom maybe changed in 2003 to accumulate that big pig transfer case

They modified the skid plate to a nice gravel shovel contour to fit it but that only happened to all TJs starting 2003

Yes the one combo that works is 410 and 33 as they say that was the original planned tire size until a last minute pull back

So with the factory smaller tires the speedo and odometer actually were about 7% high
Worked out well for Chrysler as warranty miles racked faster than distance driven and gas mileage looked better than real and some even believed faster zero to speedo 60 when the were really just timing zero to 55 or so

Since no speedo gear any other combo needs signal pulse frequency change as provided by a speedohealer or just live with speedo and odometer being wrong

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live about 15 miles from one of the entrances to The Rubicon, I am fortunate to run it as many times as I can manage during the year. That is my need/want for a 4:1. Not looking to go muddin or drive in the sand dunes.
Speedometer isn't really a care either, its just a toy, I don't have to daily drive it. I had a fully built YJ before I bought this TJ. My YJ had a teralow, I didn't mind it, never really had issues with it just wanted to see if it was worth the extra cash to grab a 241.
It is a big pig that will likely requiring hammer up your floor pan and a different skid plate

A trrralow is ok but only for low speed and a much weaker design

Why do you want a 4:1 low as except for rock crawling it is less practice for most other situations

Depending if on it it came from a 5apd vs auto you may have input shaft length issues

They wear out too and are much pricier to fix

If you don't have a need for a 4:1 low you can beef up a 231 with a 6 planet cage from a chevy 241 and a wider chain and sprocket from a
231d-HD for much much less

Also unless running 410 gears and 33 tires figure another expense for a speedohealer if you want an accurate speedo as no speedo gear in Rubi case to change out

Not a bad swap just kinda difficult and pretty expensive for something you may or may not get much out of

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that's kinda what I was worried about, I read a few different write ups and they sounded a bit more involved than just swapping in the tera low.
I have a 2000 TJ and swapped in a NV241. It is a big PITA. If you decide to do a TT later on, plan on figuring out how to keep the rear driveshaft from binding. It's a big issue for me right now but I plan on trying to find creative solutions to help solve my problems.

All I can say is do a bunch of research before going down that road.

BTW, I think $1200 is too much for that t-case but I suppose the market in your area is what will drive the price. I picked mine up for $400 in perfect working order. There have been others that have gone for around $800.

In addition to a speedohealer, plan on a Savvy cable shifter too. You will also need some spacers for transmission mount.

Here is a link to my mess:

Best TT option for use with a 241 in a non Rubicon - JeepForum.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts