Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum and looking for advice on a recent purchase. Its a used manual transmission and I have several little problems before I install. The most concerning problem is as I look down the top of where the shifter should go I see gears with chipped and burrs. They are very light but I dont understand what would cause that on the gears I can see. I do not want to crack open the case and wonder if this should be a concern. I already have thousands of dollars into this conversion and about ready to back away from it for awhile. The chipped gears on 1-2 and 5 if I am identifying it right has actual lines all the way around the gears of chips. The 5th gear has burrs on the input side. The picture provided is not the best. I plan on getting a scope in there soon.
gears.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,268 Posts
It's really hard to advise you without actually seeing what the pics are trying to show but here's my thoughts.
Something caused a chipped gear tooth. The chip or chip particles circulated around in the transmission fluid, causing the burrs.
The way I see it you have two options.
1- Drain the fluid, look for metal particles in the drained fluid. Flush the inside with some solvent and fill with fresh fluid. Then install it and hope for the best.
2- Bite the bullet and open the case. Get a service manual for the NV3550 and check out UTUBE.

I think the NV3550 is a TJ transmission. Perhaps you could post in the TJ section where the posters there might be able to offer additional suggestions. The rules state to not post the same question in multiple places, but I think since the trans is a TJ item it should be OK to ask the TJ folks too.
Since you're so deep into the conversion, I'd advise doing #2. Let us know how it goes for you.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A chipped tooth will lead to future problems I'm dealing with that issue right now. In my unprofessional opinion, you would be best to rebuild it with a new set of bearings and fixing anything you find wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Pics are not very clear i would probably just run it till it exploded then find an AX15. NV3550 is not a bad transmission but i would rather find an AX15 if my only option was to rebuild that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I am doing a conversion and the guy sent this instead of the ax15. So far everything I have touched concerning this upgrade has been a problem. Does anyone know what this spacer is called and does it come out? I need to put a different size pilot bearing in it as it is too small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts