Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the early stages of rebuilding a 92 with a conversion from a 4 cyl. to a small block Chevy V8. So I knew I needed to replace the original (A5) transmission with something that would handle the increased power.

I bought a used NV3550 from a 2002 Wrangler but beyond some general description of miles etc. from the seller I really have no idea what I just bought.

So my question is - what can/should I do to check out the NV3550 before I install it? One option is obviously, do nothing and hope for the best and fix whatever comes up when I finally get this Jeep on the road. But I am trying to be smart about this build and doing everything I can (within reason) to repair/check out everything as I proceed with the rebuild. If there is a reasonable approach to testing, or inspecting the transmission I would prefer to take that approach.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
So my question is - what can/should I do to check out the NV3550 before I install it? One option is obviously, do nothing and hope for the best and fix whatever comes up when I finally get this Jeep on the road. But I am trying to be smart about this build and doing everything I can (within reason) to repair/check out everything as I proceed with the rebuild. If there is a reasonable approach to testing, or inspecting the transmission I would prefer to take that approach.
Would you feel comfortable enough to take the tranny apart piece by piece and look at all the gears, syncros, etc? If not, I would send it to a repair shop and have them look at it. You're gonna take a huge risk putting that thing in and not knowing if it'll work or not, and you don't wana put it in / take it out twice if it is bad in some way. I would say get a professional to look at it, it might cost more, but it's nothing too unreasonable and you'll be able to sleep better knowing it'll work after you do all that hard work installing it, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
429 Posts
^ X2.

My local Jeep-savvy transmission shop charged 80 bucks to scope out the AX-15 that replaced the stock BA-10 in my rig, before the install. It was fine, but I consider that money well-spent.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about taking it apart but if it is less than $100 to get a professional to check it out that sounds like money well spend.

Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No luck finding a shop to check out the trans so I pulled the drain plug to see what was on the magnet. There certainly were some wiskers of steel there and the drained lube appeared to have some brass colored small particles in it.

I have read about flushing with kerosene but would that work without the transmission being run? I could slosh it around some as I have it mounted on an engine stand but not sure that would do much good.

I have not been able to locate a manual for the transmission so I don't want to start taking things apart until I have some idea what I am in for.

At least I am not in any hurry as I am still working on the frame repairs and transmission is down the list a ways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts