Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So am performing a long overdue fluid change on the 5-speed NV 3550 in my '00 TJ. When I drained the fluid found all these shavings on the magnet. Not sure how bad of a sign this is! I'm sure it's been 60K+ since the last change. It does grind when downshifting to 2nd when the rpm's are up, like when going up a hill, but not when just rolling up to a stoplight/sign. Does not like going into reverse when not up to operating temperature. Am putting in Royal Purple Synchromax.

View attachment 4220177

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Looks typical of a good running tranny if you ask me. Just changed mine which had the royal purple in it. Previous owner said that was what he put in it xxxx number of miles ago. It was still purple so I’m assuming he did change it recently. I had maybe half or less than that amount of flakes on mine. Looks likes there are no chunks so I believe your good.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If it was my NV3550 I'd use Redline MTL.
Ill second this. Id take redline over royal purple. Regardless that magnet is doing its job. Take those fine metal shavings off the magnet and put the plug back in. As long as you see no chunks or chips of metal on it. Close your eyes and forget you ever saw them.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts