Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even really know where to post this one.
I was given a 1975 Cherokee Chief by my uncle when he found out I was building a Wrangler (he lives in Minnesota, I'm by Chicago).
I haven't seen the ol' thing since like the 90's, he said he had to get something newer this year 'cause his wife won't ride in it anymore, and winter's comin'.
It has a 360 with a 4 speed trans. and he believes it to have a Dana 20 (?) transfer case in it..?
He also said it has Dana 44 axles in the front and rear. It has a title, but I dont need the Cherokee.
I had been talking to "Ibuildembig" about doing a Dana 60 and 10.25 swap.
With the thing being a freebie, would it be possible to swap the 44 axles in to the Wrangler, and if so, how much abuse could it handle..?
This will be a D.D., seeing lots of mud and trails but not alot of Rock Crawling. I'm not a farmer, or a construction worker, just a retired guy. After the axle swap, there are plans for a V-8 Conversion, with an overdrive trans.
I'm a proficient welder, and aircraft mechanic. I just haven't done anything like this before.
Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated, feel free to chime in, seriously.
:confused:

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Hey I got your message but I have been on a conference call most of the morning. I've never had a cherokee like that so I really dont know what axles they came with. One thing that will determine the ease of install will be the spring pin width. Basically, the distance from center of spring to center of spring.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I got your message but I have been on a conference call most of the morning. I've never had a cherokee like that so I really dont know what axles they came with. One thing that will determine the ease of install will be the spring pin width. Basically, the distance from center of spring to center of spring.
Hey Big, I did some quick searches online, and it appears the bracket itself is going to be off by an inch from the regular YJ placement, so can I just weld 'em up... I'd have to get new brackets, but do I align them the same as squaring up anything else, such as picking the same measuring points at an angle across the frame right..? Or am I totally missing somthing..?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the front diff. is on the wrong side in the '75 Cherokee. Apparently, it's on the passenger side. Oh well,

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the pin width they are calling it?

If you use the motor/trans/case out of it you will be fine with a passenger drop....or you could use GM stuff and it would be fine
Oh, I didn't know that.
I could throw in a small block chevy with an overdrive (700R4/4L60 ???) and they would work..? I kinda wanted to do a ford engine because of the distributor location, and I know the 302/5.0 pretty well, but I'm not totally opposed to a 350, the parts are a dime a dozen. They are all just engines either way I suppose.

I haven't found anything about the pin width yet, just the schackle location... I have to throw in some new springs anyway, the ones that are there are almost totally flat, but the new springs would come with the standard YJ pin set-up wouldn't they. If I had to buy/make new brackets to match up to the YJ pin, could I just use some channel and mock out the axle diameter to be cut out, or would that steer me into new issues ?

I appreciate the help Big, Thanx :thumb:

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
^^^^ there ya go. I'd hate to make any assumption about a FSJ since I've never owned one.

If you can get the pin width from one of those guys or measure it yourself, I can tell you what will fit or what you need to do to make it fit.

As far as motors go, it really depends on what you end up with for axles.....so I would start there first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts