Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to replace O2 sensor and the code I am given is Bank 2 Sensor 2. Where is this sensor located? The dealership didn't even know because they call them front upstream/downstream and same for rear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
O2 Sensors

Also, don't use Bosch, they tend to throw codes in Jeeps.[/QUOTE]

I'm a newbie to Wranglers and this forum. I changed both O2 sensors with Bosch and still have a code which my mechanic says is the catalytic converter. Should I try different O2 sensors before proceeding to changing the catalytic converter? O2 sensor suggestions? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Which one is rear? I have four sensors in my 01.
The two sets are inline, front to rear of vehicle. The upper one (above the small cat) on the pipe closest to the front of the vehicle is the upstream front. The one on the pipe nearest the front that is down below the small cat is the downstream front. The pipe that is just behind the front one though more toward the rear of the vehicle is the rear and the upstream is above the small cat, the downstream is below.

Rockauto.com shipped me all 4 NTK sensors for $96 with a 5% discount code. NTK website doesn't have diagrams but they do verify part numbers for specific locations if anyone needs that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also, don't use Bosch, they tend to throw codes in Jeeps.

I'm a newbie to Wranglers and this forum. I changed both O2 sensors with Bosch and still have a code which my mechanic says is the catalytic converter. Should I try different O2 sensors before proceeding to changing the catalytic converter? O2 sensor suggestions? Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

I would. I had some cheap ebay crap sensors in mine and the codes it threw were for other non related problems. But I knew it was for the sensor so I swapped those and everything is all better now. So it seems like it could trigger codes for unrelated stuff. Or at least here's hoping your cat isn't busted:).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two sets are inline, front to rear of vehicle. The upper one (above the small cat) on the pipe closest to the front of the vehicle is the upstream front. The one on the pipe nearest the front that is down below the small cat is the downstream front. The pipe that is just behind the front one though more toward the rear of the vehicle is the rear and the upstream is above the small cat, the downstream is below. Rockauto.com shipped me all 4 NTK sensors for $96 with a 5% discount code. NTK website doesn't have diagrams but they do verify part numbers for specific locations if anyone needs that.
That is confusing to me. I have two cats in the Y pipe and the big one under the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
That is confusing to me. I have two cats in the Y pipe and the big one under the vehicle.
So I had a '99 with 2 sensors that was a whole different story. Now I have an '06 with 4 sensors and unless I'm mistaken, the design is the same as what you have.

All 4 sensors are in the two sections of pipe at the engine compartment, which is the Y pipe you're referring to. Those two pipes are not oriented left to right in relation to the vehicle, they are oriented front to rear, as in one is more towards the front of the vehicle, and one is more toward the rear of the vehicle.

This is where you get the bearings for Front and Rear. Upstream is above the mini-cat and Downstream is below the mini-cat. I can take pictures of my setup but I am no good at photo programs that I can label them in, so I don't know if it would help or not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is throwing the code for bank 1 sensor 1. I got the NTK for that one. As per the part number. But what I got was for bank 2 sensor 1 which has the shorter wires on it. For the life of me I cant find the correct part number for it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Pictures?
I'll go out and get some in a few.

Mine is throwing the code for bank 1 sensor 1. I got the NTK for that one. As per the part number. But what I got was for bank 2 sensor 1 which has the shorter wires on it. For the life of me I cant find the correct part number for it.
This should straighten it out for you. Do you have a California emissions 4 sensor Jeep, or a non-California 2 sensor Jeep? This chart is for the 2000 model year.

EDIT: I can't get the link to work for the specific parts (in fact I've tried to link 5 different pages on their site with nothing but black screens when I try the link in this post) but if you use their part finder and enter vehicle info you'll end up looking at all the part numbers for your application. This should help locate the source of the problem regarding your part number and sensor issue.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Here's a pic laying under the driver's side, the left is the front of the vehicle and the right is the rear. All 4 sensors are in the pic:

image-1403382192.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll go out and get some in a few.

This should straighten it out for you. Do you have a California emissions 4 sensor Jeep, or a non-California 2 sensor Jeep? This chart is for the 2000 model year.

EDIT: I can't get the link to work for the specific parts (in fact I've tried to link 5 different pages on their site with nothing but black screens when I try the link in this post) but if you use their part finder and enter vehicle info you'll end up looking at all the part numbers for your application. This should help locate the source of the problem regarding your part number and sensor issue.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com
Just figured out I have the California emissions one. So that sucks. Sensor I ordered is for the federal. Oh well. Should be part 23099. Hopefully they will take it back.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'll add that both of my Jeeps saw improved MPG with new sensors and neither of them ever threw a code, I just changed them out because they had never been changed and they didn't look like cleaning them up would be as effective as replacing. For <$100 it was beyond worth it for me. They'll pay for themselves in 4 weeks or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll add that both of my Jeeps saw improved MPG with new sensors and neither of them ever threw a code, I just changed them out because they had never been changed and they didn't look like cleaning them up would be as effective as replacing. For <$100 it was beyond worth it for me. They'll pay for themselves in 4 weeks or so.
I agree. Can't hurt. I tried some fuel system cleaner in the tank and it took care of for a little while then came back. The wife bought this recently so I'm going through all the fluids etc now.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Only the top 2 sensors are used by the computer for determining the fuel mixture. The bottom 2 are used to make sure the cats are working.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
The two bottom downstream 02 sensors on later model TJs with the pre-cats also have a small role in determining the fuel mixture. That wasn't the case with early TJs with just the single downstream 02 sensor that was mounted on the catalytic converter but it is with later model TJs with four 02 sensors.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yeah, I was under the impression that the downstream sensor secondary function was minor parameter adjustment to the tables of the upstream variables. Minor as it may be, and also due to the primary function of the downstream sensors, I find the extra ~$50 for replacing the downstream sensors at the same time insignificant and the knowledge that the system is functioning flawlessly a worthwhile reason.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts