Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice in the past year, my 2013 Sahara's check engine light has come on. Each time the OBD II code was P2271 "O2 sensor signal stuck rich, bank one, sensor 2". First time was in December 2016 while traveling on the interstate at highway speed. Second time was last week while traveling west out of Raton, NM toward Taos, NM. Each time I have taken my Jeep to a Jeep dealer and each time I have been told the code is a "stored" code and does not indicate an "active" O2 sensor abnormal condition. Each time the dealer erases (resets) the code and tell me it's just an intermittent event and there is no current issue. The Jeep is running ok and the fuel efficiency has not changed that I have noticed. Is this something I need to be concerned with? Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
when the code comes back on disconnect the battery for about 30 mins and then reconnect it and see if it cleared... if the check light cleared and comes back on that means there is an issue, if its a stored code then this should turn the light off and reset the code in the ecu and wouldn't be able to come back on.

Also check for any updates, or recalls on the jeep, on my 2014 I had the same code before I left the dealer when I bought my 2014 rubi, it turned out to be a bad spark plug, then I got the code on my 2015 and they had to do an update on the ecu or something and it hasn't come back on every since 2 years running

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Twice in the past year, my 2013 Sahara's check engine light has come on. Each time the OBD II code was P2271 "O2 sensor signal stuck rich, bank one, sensor 2". First time was in December 2016 while traveling on the interstate at highway speed. Second time was last week while traveling west out of Raton, NM toward Taos, NM. Each time I have taken my Jeep to a Jeep dealer and each time I have been told the code is a "stored" code and does not indicate an "active" O2 sensor abnormal condition. Each time the dealer erases (resets) the code and tell me it's just an intermittent event and there is no current issue. The Jeep is running ok and the fuel efficiency has not changed that I have noticed. Is this something I need to be concerned with? Thanks.
There should be no check engine lights activating unless there's an actual problem. I don't know what the dealer is talking about. The "stored" code means that there was/is a problem. Once the code was re-set, if it didn't activate then there's no issue. Once it activates again that means there's at least an intermittent problem with the O2 sensor (bank one, sensor 2) and it should be replaced. The only concern is that you might get another check engine light until it's taken care of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts