Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an O2 sensor issue throwing P0137,p0138 codes for Bank 2. Replaced both but codes return.

Now, when I go on a long trip the CEL goes out and codes clear. But when driving locally codes return.

2009 Wrangler

Any ideas?:worthy:

·
Registered
269 Posts
It would be helpful if you gave a little more information. What year is it and what engine does it have?
It says 2009 in the original post, and they only came with 3.8L engines.

I'm no expert but I think maybe you have an issue with your catalytic converter? Here's my logic: once your engine and exhaust are up to temp during a long trip the codes clear. Sounds like when you're doing short trips your cat isn't getting hot enough to work properly and thus the trouble codes. I'm not familiar with what a cold catalytic converter should be doing, but I would start my research there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know if this will help but I have a 2015 JKU and received a recall letter last month from jeep regarding the oxygen sensors fix which all I had to do was take it in and have the computer reprogram the sensor. Not sure if this will help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It says 2009 in the original post, and they only came with 3.8L engines.

I'm no expert but I think maybe you have an issue with your catalytic converter? Here's my logic: once your engine and exhaust are up to temp during a long trip the codes clear. Sounds like when you're doing short trips your cat isn't getting hot enough to work properly and thus the trouble codes. I'm not familiar with what a cold catalytic converter should be doing, but I would start my research there.
Oops, I missed that line the first time I read it. I agree with your logic. O2 sensors usually wouldn't cause this type of issue. They are either good or bad. If they're bad, they would cause a constant trouble code. I guess it could also be a loose wire or bad connection, but if that were the case I would expect the problem to occur more randomly as opposed to a consistent pattern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts