Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory- 92 YJ 2.5L, the PO apparently cut the o2 sensor wiring and now I can’t find any of it to include where the new sensor should plug in. I have the new exhaust pipe and O2 sensor (pic) which the wiring is ~ 18” long, so that connection harness should be somewhat close to the driver side of the engine but but I’m not able to locate it. Could someone please send a photo of where this harness is plugged in?
The second question is I found these 4 wires open and hanging from the original wiring harness. They are red/black stripe, green/black stripe, grey, and black. Anyone know by looking at the pics, where these could possibly go to? Wonder if this is the other end of my O2 sensor connection 🧐

·
Registered
5,149 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
The grooved side is facing the crankshaft pulley

lmao, oh wow now that i look again that belt routing is all screwed up. That is a reverse rotation water pump the belt does not rout like that it will overheat. And who beat the hell out of the power steering pulley?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lmao, oh wow now that i look again that belt routing is all screwed up. That is a reverse rotation water pump the belt does not rout like that it will overheat. And who beat the hell out of the power steering pulley?

I got the Jeep last week and multiple items have been all screwed up that I’m having to fix. I just changed the water pump and radiator and put the belt back on like it was. BUT, the funny thing is according to your diagram, everything is still turning the same direction with the way the belt is routed now, with only exception being the idler pulley 🤣

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also, THANKS so much for the correction! Good thing is I’ve not been running the Jeep yet as I’m doing a new custom exhaust, elec fan conversion, brake upgrade and whatever else has to be corrected before shes ready for fun.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,970 Posts
Might also want to cover the TBI throat to keep stuff from falling in and Creating more work for you...

·
Los Angeles
1,773 Posts
I got the Jeep last week and multiple items have been all screwed up that I’m having to fix. I just changed the water pump and radiatore and put the belt back on like it was. BUT, the funny thing is according to your diagram, everything is still turning the same direction with the way the belt is routed now, with only exception being the idler pulley 🤣
The correct routing has the belt making more surface contact with the harmonic balancer and probably everything else.

You should post more pictures and I bet there is a bunch more that can be pointed out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The correct routing has the belt making more surface contact with the harmonic balancer and probably everything else.

You should post more pictures and I bet there is a bunch more that can be pointed out.
Oh believe me, there's def more screw-ups on this thing lol. Best thing so far was the makeshift exhaust setup had the exit from the muffler point straight into the rear diff! But fortunately there's plenty of time and patience and knowledge on this forum to help me get her back in shape. Now I just wish I could find the dang O2 sensor connector.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,970 Posts
Here's a pic. Those wires are your O2 wires, you will just need a connector. any 4 pin male/female should work
Pg. 1337 of the 91 FSM

20210607_184808[1].jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts

When I helped my dad put a belt on my brother's Jeep it was that way, and my dad insisted on putting it back on that way. So it's been running like that for years. With only a few inches of belt contacting the crank pully.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a pic. Those wires are your O2 wires, you will just need a connector. any 4 pin male/female should work
Pg. 1337 of the 91 FSM

View attachment 4514198
OMG! This is so awesome! I tried looking threw the links but found everything but this schematic. I had a suspect feeling that those wires had something to do with the lost connector. Now for colors, is F6 18GY the grey, 99 18BL the black, F15 18BR RD the red and black, and Z2 18DG/BK the green and black? And again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
OMG! This is so awesome! I tried looking threw the links but found everything but this schematic. I had a suspect feeling that those wires had something to do with the lost connector. Now for colors, is F6 18GY the grey, 99 18BL the black, F15 18BR RD the red and black, and Z2 18DG/BK the green and black? And again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
I don't have a 2.5 so I cant tell you which wires go to what colors on the sensor pigtail. maybe another poster with a 2.5 can help with the pinout....Good Luck..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have a 2.5 so I cant tell you which wires go to what colors on the sensor pigtail. maybe another poster with a 2.5 can help with the pinout....Good Luck..
ok thanks! I tried searching in the manual (from your sig) for the color legend to see what the different abbreviations equal but I cant seem to locate it in there but I'm hoping ive got it correct. Have to be honest and admit that looking at these schematics is a tad intimidating for non-engineers like myself lol

·
Los Angeles
1,773 Posts
I would try to find the correct connector so you can start making things right instead of hacking a hack job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would try to find the correct connector so you can start making things right instead of hacking a hack job.
That's the plan. Just had to confirm that those 4 wires were in fact the O2 sensor wires. Now have to take the current sensor and match the connector to one available at the store and soldier in the current wires into the correct locations within the connector.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I looked for the O2 sensor connector for years because i needed the rubber gasket and never found one. I ended up getting one of a friends parts YJ so as far as i know they are only available used.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
That's the plan. Just had to confirm that those 4 wires were in fact the O2 sensor wires. Now have to take the current sensor and match the connector to one available at the store and soldier in the current wires into the correct locations within the connector.
Here's a GM connector that looks like the fsm illustration. can't tell what your plug looks like from your pic angle
Connector Plug Pigtail 4 Way of Oxygen O2 Sensor for GM PT1069,15305960,1P1596 | eBay

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your best bet would probably be to go to a junkyard and grab a pigtail off a similar year Jeep. XJ's are still relatively plentiful in junkyards and more likely than not used the same connector.
Just cut the pigtail long so you can solder then in deeper in the harness and staggered so they don't make it bulky. Use adhesive lined heat shrink to seal it off.
I would never crimp something like this together, but a lot of people would. If you do make sure you get the sealing crimps that are heat shrink. You do not want green death hidden in your loom.

It may be impossible or unbelieveably expensive to source the pins and housing for the plugs.
For example . you can buy new pins for the fuse boxes, but it'll cost you a crazy amount of money. Upwards of $100.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts