Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here but been following for a while. I know that o2 sensors have been a topic here before, just wanted to explain my particular problem and see if I can get some answers.

I've have an '09 JK that has had the check engine light for the past week which I recently decoded as P0132, high voltage on the first o2 sensor (bank 1, sensor 1). I was told by my mechanic that the spark plugs needed to be replaced, which I did myself along with new cables. After doing that I reset the code, drove around the block and the code came back. So it's clear to me that the sensor needs to be replaced.

My two questions are:

Where is the sensor located? Bank 1, Sensor 1 should be before the cat off the first cylinder, which is the passengers side of the engine, correct? Is this going to be easy to replace myself or should I just suck it up and take it in?

Is this simply the case of a bad sensor, or should I be worried about bigger engine problems. When I replaced the plugs I didn't see any abnormal wetness that would indicate that it's running rich, but I guess anything is possible. The engine idles pretty roughly after a couple minutes and it constantly feels like it's going to stall. I have been avoiding driving it because I don't want to kill my cats.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Seems like a great community here.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Oxygen Sensor 1/1 Right rear of engine
Oxygen Sensor 1/2 Right rear of engine.
Oxygen Sensor 2/1 Left rear of engine.
Oxygen Sensor 2/2 Left rear of engine.

You might also have a cat problem.

Bob K.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The wiring diagrams are oriented as if looking from the driver's seat. So left rear is driver's side. Right rear is Passenger side.

Bob K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. What's the best way to access sensor one bank one? Underneath? I can see the one right off the exhaust on the front left side of the engine just looking under the hood but not the front right.

Also if I had bad cats wouldn't you expect to see failed sensors after the cat? I'm dreading the fact that I'm going to have to replace them as I'm not within warranty.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Removing the fender liner helps. But you can get at it underneath. Most times you would be right. But the JK seems to throw things out in an odd order sometimes.

Bob K.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My two cents. I recently had a check engine for a downstream sensor on my TJ and after I ordered a replacement downstream sensor ( buying them locally is stupid expensive) I decided to take it out and clean it really well just for fun (really easy removal after a squirt of PB blaster) and of course, check engine light gone, and has stayed gone for about a month. Could be worth trying since you'd have to take the sensor out either way.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Does your Engine use OIL ? If so it could be the CAT"s are plugging up....
Mine uses oil, so it's just a matter of time.... "BH"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update. Replaced the sensor this morning, however now the truck won't start. I tried starting it with the sensor unplugged to see if it would throw a different code, and it wouldn't turn over, so I replaced it and tried to start again and still no go. Would a missing o2 sensor have any effect on its ability to start?

I have a feeling the obd scanner I left plugged in overnight is the culprit here (bonehead move, I know) but just wanted to double check.

Wow I feel like an idiot

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You might have to un-hook the battery over night and see if the whole mess resets itself...
Some times a "re-boot" helps.... "BH"

·
Registered
46 Posts
What scanner did you use? I know the Superchips Flashpaq states if you leave it unattended the fan will come on and kill the battery.

I am having some terrible gas mileage issues. No Codes thrown but I am trying to determine if the o2 sensors are causing a rich condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What scanner did you use? I know the Superchips Flashpaq states if you leave it unattended the fan will come on and kill the battery. I am having some terrible gas mileage issues. No Codes thrown but I am trying to determine if the o2 sensors are causing a rich condition.
I got a wifi elm-327 one off eBay. It's pretty cool but not when you leave it plugged in overnight and drain your battery. I would have hoped it wouldn't drain the battery because when you leave it plugged in while driving and use dashcommand you can get real time torque graphs and other cool stuff like Mpg and hp. But to just read a code you can borrow one at no cost from autozone. Not sure if you can read fuel trim on them

Oh and just for reference, after I replaced my o2 sensor the truck ran great! No CEL, no rough idle. $25, some pb blaster, and a few bloody knuckles. Couldn't be easier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts