Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer today picking up some coolant for my 13 jk. Well surprisingly I learned that my wrangler used Mopar oat (purple) coolant when the tec flashed a led light in my expansion bottle
You could clearly see that it looked purple. On Saturday I was trying to figure out the color and it looked orange to me I even tried comparing the Mopar coolant to gm dex cool and it looked the similar

This got me wondering what someone could use in a pinch other than water (say on the trail )
will two different brands of OAT coolant cause mud in the system? Could you use dex cool oat with Mopar oat (purple ) and be safe?

I know you can’t mix HOAT and OAT. Say you had dex cool on your hands and handled your Jeep radiator cap would that be safe since they are both oat coolants?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Distilled water is the only other liquid that goes into my radiator other than the PURPLE MOPAR OAT antifreeze. I carry a gallon of distilled water for my needs and a bottle of tap water for anybody else that I stop for that might need water in their cooling system.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was at the dealer today picking up some coolant for my 13 jk. Well surprisingly I learned that my wrangler used Mopar oat (purple) coolant when the tec flashed a led light in my expansion bottle
You could clearly see that it looked purple. On Saturday I was trying to figure out the color and it looked orange to me I even tried comparing the Mopar coolant to gm dex cool and it looked the similar

This got me wondering what someone could use in a pinch other than water (say on the trail )
will two different brands of OAT coolant cause mud in the system? Could you use dex cool oat with Mopar oat (purple ) and be safe?

I know you can’t mix HOAT and OAT. Say you had dex cool on your hands and handled your Jeep radiator cap would that be safe since they are both oat coolants?

Mixing OAT & HOAT will nullify the additive packs and the coolant will gel up.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Coolant Experts

·
Premium Member
9,617 Posts
I went back to good old green.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you were on the trail or just didn't have access to the proper coolant, then as others have said, water is the only thing you should put into the radiator.
I was in Death Valley in April and my water pump developed a slow leak. I had a 400 mile trip home and had to stop every 40-50 miles and I'd top it off with water and the temp gauge never went above the mid-point.
So, from this I would conclude that unless you are in very hot temps or pulling a load, your coolant system should be just fine with nothing but water in it.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Water

@Grand Umpah - actually water has a higher thermal coefficient than antifreeze, so it should actually work better at keeping the engine cool than any mix. In fact, I used to use plain water (with a little RedLine Water Wetter and some water pump lubricant) in my race car when it was having trouble staying cool. Getting rid of the antifreeze helped keep it cool - of course, most race tracks require you to remove antifreeze from the cooling system since it is so slippery when spilled on track. Obviously though, if you have to worry about freezing, antifreeze is useful.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Ask my old man (who spent 2 years building oil exploration roads in the Sahara desert in the 60's) and he will tell you that if you're low on coolant in the wild, just pee in the radiator!

Reactions: b17gsr

·
Registered
897 Posts
I went back to good old green.
From what I've read (which may or may not be reliable, it's the Internet after all), the green stuff can significantly shorten the life of rubber parts (hoses and seals) in systems designed for OAT or HOAT. Or if you prefer a cup-is-full definition, OAT / HOAT contains additives that extend the life of the rubber parts.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The main point of adding antifreeze/coolant to water is that it raises the boiling point of water from 212 degrees to somewhere around 223 degrees, and similarly lowers the freezing point (probably the more important property for most Jeep owners). WaltA is correct; running pure antifreeze isn't a solution for the same reason; you need a mix of water and antifreeze to gain the properties of higher boiling/lower freeze points.
Here's a link that speaks to this: https://seeburgservicecenter.com/how-does-antifreeze-work/

·
Premium Member
9,617 Posts
From what I've read (which may or may not be reliable, it's the Internet after all), the green stuff can significantly shorten the life of rubber parts (hoses and seals) in systems designed for OAT or HOAT. Or if you prefer a cup-is-full definition, OAT / HOAT contains additives that extend the life of the rubber parts.
Well we will see about that. The reason I switched is because the stock OAT coolant ate my radiator up, after market aluminum. So far everything is fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts

You do not want to base which coolant you have on looks. More than a few have reported that the coolant looked one color in the expansion tank and a different color in the bottle. They can plug you VIN into the computer to see which coolant yours came with. That is the coolant you should use. If you have reason to believe that someone has mixed coolants or switched to the other version I would suggest a flush and fill with the coolant that your VIN comes up as.
As others have said, water is what you can use if you don't have the correct coolant. Preferably distilled water, but water either way. Mixing coolants is a crap shoot. You don't want to take that chance with something as vital as your engines cooling system. At least I don't.

·
Registered
925 Posts
OAT / HOAT contains additives that extend the life of the rubber parts.
Running Dexcool for over 20 years in my other, older vehice, it appears that way. I just changed a coolant hose (for unrelated reasons) and after 20 years it still felt and looked like new, both inside and out.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If its a newer vehicle use whatever dealer will sell you based on VIN# and keep the receipt.
If bought used I would add only water and flush the system asap, its unknown what is in there, it can be a mix of coolants, wrong proportion, it can be tested but I would just flush it.
I always buy a jug of oem coolant with any of my new vehicles. Anyway will have to add sooner or later and trying saving another 20$ on a 20K-50K purchase doesn't really make sense.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts