Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I have a quick question regarding the Torque app for Android. I have been using the app and adapter combo for a while - at least three years - for monitoring minor things on my previous vehicle (a Caliber), but I have been curious if there was a way for Torque to report what gear the vehicle is in.

The old Caliber was a CVT which, to my understanding, did not technically "shift", so that search was a moot point. But now that I'm here, I feel like it is a legitimate question again. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't think so either, the only setting I could find is Trans temp. There is a Racing meter plugin for Torque that looks like it may display the gear indicator but I haven't tried it. You can access it from the plugin section of torque and google play store.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What is the difference between the Torque app that is free and the 1 you have to buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Never mind.........I see where it needs bluetooth and I won't have that in my Yeep

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
All of the race-focused tracking apps don't get the gear information from the OBD-II port, they calculate it based on RPMs and speed (and gear ratios).

Chances are good that deep in the depths of the Jeep system there is a way to get that, but maybe not. How the EVIC displays it from the transmission control module is all internal.

Keep an eye out on http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/hacking-the-obd-ii-diagnostic-port-1113194.html and we'll see what we can find.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Never mind.........I see where it needs bluetooth and I won't have that in my Yeep
The bluetooth it refers to is a module that connect to your OBD II port to transfer data from the vehicle to your phone. The one you buy has a lot more features, I've had it for a few years now and it works great, I think I paid $4.99 or so then another $20.00 for a bluetooth adapter, it's well worth it and does more than my $200.00 handheld reader.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The bluetooth it refers to is a module that connect to your OBD II port to transfer data from the vehicle to your phone. The one you buy has a lot more features, I've had it for a few years now and it works great, I think I paid $4.99 or so then another $20.00 for a bluetooth adapter, it's well worth it and does more than my $200.00 handheld reader.
Oh.......so if I understand you right the vehicle itself doesn't need BT you need a BT adapter to plug in to the Yeep to communicate with your phone?

Where can I find the adapter?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Oh.......so if I understand you right the vehicle itself doesn't need BT you need a BT adapter to plug in to the Yeep to communicate with your phone?

Where can I find the adapter?

Thanks for the info!
I bought the adapter from Amazon for like $30 or so. Works great on my Tundra and Malibu, haven't tried my JK yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the adapter from Amazon for like $30 or so. Works great on my Tundra and Malibu, haven't tried my JK yet.
Pretty much this. I got the BAFX OBD II adapter for $23 and change, and it's been working great ever since. It's crazy how great of a tool the adapter+app combo is for less than $30.

All of the race-focused tracking apps don't get the gear information from the OBD-II port, they calculate it based on RPMs and speed (and gear ratios).

Chances are good that deep in the depths of the Jeep system there is a way to get that, but maybe not. How the EVIC displays it from the transmission control module is all internal.

Keep an eye out on http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/hacking-the-obd-ii-diagnostic-port-1113194.html and we'll see what we can find.
I guess I kinda figured that it would not be an actual measured item, but thanks to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it! I will definitely keep my eyes out for any updates!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
So the gear selection is available for the automatic transmission, using byte C of the response to a mode 0x21 query of PID 0x52. Check out the other thread for details.

The manual transmission doesn't report its gear to the drivetrain so I don't think that would be available there (but it would be interesting to look at this PID in a manual tranny vehicle).

·
Registered
664 Posts
So the gear selection is available for the automatic transmission, using byte C of the response to a mode 0x21 query of PID 0x52. Check out the other thread for details.

The manual transmission doesn't report its gear to the drivetrain so I don't think that would be available there (but it would be interesting to look at this PID in a manual tranny vehicle).
Ok, can you explain that in layman's terms ? Is it possible do do it through a handheld device.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got this working by using PID 215c, byte C for my 2017 Automatic. It seems likely that this will work for 2012-2017 model years.

In Torque, I added a Custom PID

ODB2 Mode and PID: 215c
Long Name: Transmission Gear
Short Name: Gear
Minimum value: 0.0 (unchanged)
Maximum value of 5.0
Scale Factor: x1 (unchanged)
Equation: A
Overrides PID: Does not override any PID (unchanged)

I used a Digital Display type, and set the number of decimal places to 0 on the Display configuration after it was added.

When the transmission is in Park or Neutral the value displayed is 0. Reverse will return -13 (I think or maybe it was -11, I forget), which I don't know how to map a value to a character such as 'R' in Torque. Another option would be to display -1 or something for reverse. So at this point this only displays 0-5.

Speedometer Auto part Flight instruments Gauge Tachometer
Text Font Line Screenshot
Text Font Screenshot Sky Technology

·
Registered
634 Posts
When the transmission is in Park or Neutral the value displayed is 0. Reverse will return -13 (I think or maybe it was -11, I forget), which I don't know how to map a value to a character such as 'R' in Torque. Another option would be to display -1 or something for reverse. So at this point this only displays 0-5
Good job on the gear readout! On my vehicle (a 2014) I get a 0 for neutral, 13 for park, and 11 for reverse (in addition to the actual gear when in Drive), so in order to properly display Park, Neutral, and Reverse you can use the following equation:

LOOKUP (A:A:0='N':13='P':11='R')

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good job on the gear readout! On my vehicle (a 2014) I get a 0 for neutral, 13 for park, and 11 for reverse (in addition to the actual gear when in Drive), so in order to properly display Park, Neutral, and Reverse you can use the following equation:

LOOKUP (A:A:0='N':13='P':11='R')

Good morning all
I am french and my english is not terrible and i am sorry
I made the configuration given above and no problem it works (with A)
I have the values 0 11 and 13
But if I enter the command LOOKUP (A: A: 0 = 'N': 13 = 'P': 11 = 'R')
it does not work it tells me a problem of ()
If I put LOOKUP [A: A: 0 = 'N': 13 = 'P': 11 = 'R'] I have no error but no good information
Can you help me

Test in "P" Mode

Test in "P" Mode

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good morning all
I am french and my english is not terrible and i am sorry
I made the configuration given above and no problem it works (with A)
I have the values 0 11 and 13
But if I enter the command LOOKUP (A: A: 0 = 'N': 13 = 'P': 11 = 'R')
it does not work it tells me a problem of ()
If I put LOOKUP [A: A: 0 = 'N': 13 = 'P': 11 = 'R'] I have no error but no good information
Can you help me
Were you able to get it working? You need to remove all the spaces from your expression; I tested LOOKUP(A:A:0='N':13='P':11='R') and it works great (thanks to smiller1 ). If you need additional help, there is great documentation here : Torque LOOKUP

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.