Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum.

Background - i bought a 2007 jeep wrangler X. It had low miles but was a rental at one point through its life in alaska. Its in working order except a few things which i have been unable to revive on the JK.

My obd2 will not get power.

I have checked the m3, and replaced any fuse i thought could be the issue (fuse J14 was bad, and i did not have a fuse in M30, which i recently added ). Ive lifted up the fuse box and checked the harneses and couldent get it to get power (using a volt meter) by wiggling it. Ive tried the three times off and on quick and it does not show any codes. I also did not have a fuse on I get about 6 volts on each of the power outlets.

I do see three lights on my dash though, which at first would kick on every so often then go away after a restart. now though they are on 24\7 with the ABS,ESP\BAS, and Looks like traction control (car with swervs behind it, like my wife is driving....)

Ive made sure the connectors are jacked in sturdy to the back of the OBD2 sensor... but im at a loss... Any ideas guys, i really dont want to take it to the stealership.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update since yesterday - i have gone through and made sure the OBD2 has tight connections, its pretty dirty.... I double checked every fuse with a fuse tester but i did not get the big Box fuses i just viewed them to verifiy they are not blown. I also rechecked the power outlets as i was not the one holding the tester when we got 6 volts, and that seemed low, and i get 12 volts all around. So i know im getting power to there... Does anyone know where\if it actually stems from the power outlets? Is there a wireing harness i need ?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
See if you can find some place, like an Autozone, that will check the codes for free. As for the warning lights, you could have something wrong with the wiring to a wheel sensor or a bad wheel sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
See if you can find some place, like an Autozone, that will check the codes for free. As for the warning lights, you could have something wrong with the wiring to a wheel sensor or a bad wheel sensor.
Maybe I misunderstood but they can't get codes via a non-working OBD port. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I misunderstood but they can't get codes via a non-working OBD port. :)
Correct, i cant hook up any bluetooth OBD2 sensor or even a normal sensor, ive tested with actual obd2 sensor as well... Ive checked the volts with a tester, i get nothing out of them, even with different grounds etc. nothing. Tried calling the stealership yesterday and they said it would be 102$ for one hour of labor... without knowing what excatly is going on i dont want to go waste my cash. I tried to find where it connects (if it does at all) to the power outlet, but im not familar with how to rip apart the dash, im already planning more attacks later but getting pretty frustrated with this. Anyhelp what so ever though will be considerd and at this point ill do about anything relevant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mistake.
Its all good, we are all here to help out right?

No worries. I was working on 2 hours sleep so for all I knew I was misreading. LOL
been there done that, its why i wanted a second set of eyes on this thing, still cant figure it out.

I still cant find any online wireing diagrams for the OBD2, if anyone finds any, link would be helpfull. i keep getting half diagrams and a lot that shows me where it is... already knew that haha

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Wish I had a solution for ya. Other than tracing every single wire, I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Access to the schematics via Tech Authority is about $1,800 a year for a single user. I wish we could find a way to make that available to the forum for all to use. I'm sure 1800 people here can manage to donate $1 each. The access part would be the difficult part. It's pretty pathetic that Chrysler doesn't offer the schematics in hard copy format like most other manufacturers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Access to the schematics via Tech Authority is about $1,800 a year for a single user. I wish we could find a way to make that available to the forum for all to use. I'm sure 1800 people here can manage to donate $1 each. The access part would be the difficult part. It's pretty pathetic that Chrysler doesn't offer the schematics in hard copy format like most other manufacturers.

I hear chilton manual's are pretty good, but havent seen anything, i dont know if they contain schematics... im a bit of a pirate and tried searching for a copy for this, but couldent find it. Its only the power cable... thinking of trying to search for the branchoff, or the endpoint, and rerun a wire to the OBD2.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I hear chilton manual's are pretty good, but havent seen anything, i dont know if they contain schematics... im a bit of a pirate and tried searching for a copy for this, but couldent find it. Its only the power cable... thinking of trying to search for the branchoff, or the endpoint, and rerun a wire to the OBD2.
I found a torrent on Pirate's Bay...supposedly service manual for 2014 Jeep Wrangler. It's an .iso. I downloaded it....but never had an success actually getting everything to work. Only the front page.

So, if I had access to Tech Authority, which I currently do not, how much would you be willing to pay for the schematics you needed? Let's say it was two pages of schematics.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm pretty sure Chilton will not have the schematic. I used to work at O'Reilly's, and I don't recall them including it. Also, I believe they're sealed in plastic, so once you open it, you own it. I say save your money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure Chilton will not have the schematic. I used to work at O'Reilly's, and I don't recall them including it. Also, I believe they're sealed in plastic, so once you open it, you own it. I say save your money.

My Oreillys said i could open it to see if it had it, if it dient i dient have to mess with buying it, though i could benifit from it as i plan on doing more... getting annoyed though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Solution *note i dident say fixed*

So i took the weekend to rip some of the dash off ( even more then i had ) and was testing wires. My 07 JK used to be a rental and my guess from the advertisement in the glovebox, was used in alaska in the trails, light use is what it says and over a river (explain the bedrock up in most things... ) What im getting at is there is a very very fine coat of dirt on EVERYTHING, ive gone through the entire engine with a hose and got some off, some is just not going anywhere... All cables are coated and very hard to find a single one, i mean near impossible.

I riped the front dash off with the power outlets and rewired and "tinned" them into a 3 way split (not the good 3 way either :mooning: ) i ran the new 12V line to the OBD2 sensor and it picked up. Got my codes which is what i knew (bad sensor on one of the left wheels which is why my ABS light is on etc ) and can use the OBD2 + Torque App for Android.

So anyone who has the issue and is not worried about redoing the wires, and actually knows how to properly tin and rewire, take it off the power outlet, especially if you dont use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ck and Make sure that all your plugs that plug into to your fuse box from the bottom are plugged in all the way and locked...whne I installed my Magnuson S/C I had to replace my battery box assembly...I didn't have one of the harnesses plugged in all the way & my OBD II was dead...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.