Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poking around at getting a new OBDII scan tool. Does anyone know of a scan tool that isn't $1000+ that can interface with the Jeeps 4WD system? Additionally being able to at least read a code for the abs and airbag systems would be nice too. I'm thinking these are going to be only dealer or cost wise shop level systems.

Reactions: les.warden

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
All TJs with the exception of '98-99 can read and display their own OBD diagnostic trouble codes. Just quickly turn the ignition switch on-off-on 3 times within 5 seconds and then leave it in the on position. Give it time for the diagnostics to run and then any codes stored will begin displaying in the odometer. If you did it right, you will always at least see a '55' in older TJs or a 'Done' if there are no trouble codes stored.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All TJs with the exception of '98-99 can read and display their own OBD diagnostic trouble codes. Just quickly turn the ignition switch on-off-on 3 times within 5 seconds and then leave it in the on position. Give it time for the diagnostics to run and then any codes stored will begin displaying in the odometer. If you did it right, you will always at least see a '55' in older TJs or a 'Done' if there are no trouble codes stored.
I know the dance. This is for my other Jeeps. Grand Cherokee, Patriot, and newer Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works for them too. At least it did in my two Grand Cherokees and my previous Cherokee.
Right, but the dance won't tell me what "Service 4WD System" actually means. Had to finally give in an go to the dealer for the Grand on that one last time.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Right, but the dance won't tell me what "Service 4WD System" actually means. Had to finally give in an go to the dealer for the Grand on that one last time.
So far as as I know, "Service 4WD System" is not a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code" that would be picked up by an aftermarket reader that reads the DTCs.

If I recall correctly, that message is fixed by a TSB (technical service bulletin) procedure that reflashes the PCM to get rid of that message. Which does not come up as a DTC if you use an aftermarket external code reader.

Lots of posts to get information from if you Google "Grand Cherokee Service 4WD System".

Like this thread... https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t15925_ds595734

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I recall correctly, that message is fixed by a TSB (technical service bulletin) procedure that reflashes the PCM to get rid of that message. Which does not come up as a DTC if you use an aftermarket external code reader.
Learned something new today. Thanks.

Reactions: Bad_Dog
1 - 8 of 8 Posts