Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Observations of a dying or bad battery in hopes it may help others; For reference, I have a 2014 JKUWW. I have upgraded the Radio, Speaker, Speaker Wiring, and Factory Amp(s). I noticed a frequent random humming through my radio over the last couple months. Sound like a poor ground issue. I pulled the radio a couple times, checked the wiring and reseated connectors in an effort to find the issue. Just when I thought the humming was fixed it (not finding a direct cause) it would return on my next drive. Last weekend I loaded up Olive (my jeep) for a weekend of trails and camping. When it was time to leave, the starter was struggling to turn over as quickly as normal. Over the weekend Olive struggled but started up every time over the trip. After returning home I charged Olive’s battery overnight to make sure I did not have anything leaching power thus causing the stuttering. I was now suspect of the battery’s condition and just wanted to confirm. Monday night I went to pick up my daughter and notice a couple dash lights would flash, the led dome light was flickering when the door was open, and the radio was humming intermittently. At this point I was confident my original factory battery was at the very end of its useful life. I park the Olive in the garage, finished running errands and then picked up a new EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group H6 from Walmart for $150.00. Even though Walmart's website says it will not, this battery is a perfect fit. 760 CCA just in time for MN winter cold. It has been four days now and I have please that my Radio is no longer humming. I knew that a bad battery can cause dash lights to light up. I was surprised that the dying battery was causing issues with my audio system over the last couple months.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would still put that new battery on a good charger for at least overnight just to get it topped off.
Coming from Wallyworld who knows how long it sat on that shelf before you grabbed it.
Even at room temp just sitting the battery will lose charge.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would still put that new battery on a good charger for at least overnight just to get it topped off.
Coming from Wallyworld who knows how long it sat on that shelf before you grabbed it.
Even at room temp just sitting the battery will lose charge.
I think they sell a lot of them in my area. Manufactured on 9/19/19. Pretty fresh! :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Great observations but........

Observations of a dying or bad battery in hopes it may help others; For reference, I have a 2014 JKUWW. I have upgraded the Radio, Speaker, Speaker Wiring, and Factory Amp(s). I noticed a frequent random humming through my radio over the last couple months. Sound like a poor ground issue. I pulled the radio a couple times, checked the wiring and reseated connectors in an effort to find the issue. Just when I thought the humming was fixed it (not finding a direct cause) it would return on my next drive. Last weekend I loaded up Olive (my jeep) for a weekend of trails and camping. When it was time to leave, the starter was struggling to turn over as quickly as normal. Over the weekend Olive struggled but started up every time over the trip. After returning home I charged Olive’s battery overnight to make sure I did not have anything leaching power thus causing the stuttering. I was now suspect of the battery’s condition and just wanted to confirm. Monday night I went to pick up my daughter and notice a couple dash lights would flash, the led dome light was flickering when the door was open, and the radio was humming intermittently. At this point I was confident my original factory battery was at the very end of its useful life. I park the Olive in the garage, finished running errands and then picked up a new EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group H6 from Walmart for $150.00. Even though Walmart's website says it will not, this battery is a perfect fit. 760 CCA just in time for MN winter cold. It has been four days now and I have please that my Radio is no longer humming. I knew that a bad battery can cause dash lights to light up. I was surprised that the dying battery was causing issues with my audio system over the last couple months.
Great observations but only one thing that doesn’t make sense and I just cannot agree with. That is not why your radio hums.
:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Like I have said before,, the new electronics in these vehicles don't play well with bad batteries. Even though the voltage looks good, if it's old, replace it. Slow starts mean it's done.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I think they sell a lot of them in my area. Manufactured on 9/19/19. Pretty fresh! :)
Even freshly manufactured, I have never seen one come fully charged. I'll usually fast charge it on and off for like a half hour to an hour then still have to trickle it overnight to get full charge.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
My parameters are: If the jeeps sits over the weekend without being driven and if I check the voltage on a volt meter and it's below 12.30 volts, I replace the battery. A usable battery that is holding it's charge sufficiently, will maintain 12.35 or above. With these new "computers on wheels" that we take out into the boonies and thrash, that battery is MUCH more important than it used to be 100 years ago, when I started driving.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Great observations but only one thing that doesn’t make sense and I just cannot agree with. That is not why your radio hums.
:beerdrinking:
It doesn't know the words. actually the hum is the alternator trying desperately to bring the voltage up to normal on a dying battery.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It doesn't know the words. actually the hum is the alternator trying desperately to bring the voltage up to normal on a dying battery.
Absolutely. If you don’t know the words just hum along. :winner:

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If I am running Amazon Music most songs have the lyrics on screen. The radio should know the words then, right? :bop:

My radio would always start humming when I started my drive my drive after Olive sat for a while or overnight. The alternator makes sense. I have not heard the issue since replacing the battery.

·
Registered
821 Posts

If you are replacing your Bat its always a good idea to test your alt as well.
A dying Bat will slowly kill your Alt as well.
So a dying Alt with a New Bat will eventually fail as well, they need to be addressed as a Team cause thats exactly what they are.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are replacing your Bat its always a good idea to test your alt as well.
A dying Bat will slowly kill your Alt as well.
So a dying Alt with a New Bat will eventually fail as well, they need to be addressed as a Team cause thats exactly what they are.
Yes. I agree. This is a must!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts