Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!

Has anyone been to the Oceano Dunes near pismo! If so do they sell the annual passes there?

What's a good time to arrive just for the day!
What is a good tire pressure to be on the dunes? Any other recommendations are helpful!

Thanks!

Newbie Jk owner!

Registered
Hello everyone!! Has anyone been to the Oceano Dunes near pismo! If so do they sell the annual passes there? What's a good time to arrive just for the day! What is a good tire pressure to be on the dunes? Any other recommendations are helpful! Thanks! Newbie Jk owner!
I went there once so far a month ago. I liked it overthere a lot. I just bought a day pass only, not sure if there is an anual pass available, you can ask them at the station.

Good time to arrive mourning so you have plenty of time to drive over sand dunes or enjoy of the views of the beautiful sea.

With my 35" tires on 17 wheel i went down to 10 psi. could also go 8 but i didn't need to. My tip would be to watch out for sudden fall ofs or drops. Its hard to see them until you are very close. Drive slow. If you are going up the hill in the sand make sure to use good speed and when you get stuck on hill going up and you will :), only back up straight, dont turn your wheel right or left while backing up on a hill.

Attachments

Registered
As far as I know there is no annual pass. Even if there were it wouldn't be interesting.

When the beach is full they close access, pass or no. It doesn't happen often though.

For day trips arrive before lunch. If you want to camp you need to arrive the day before you want to drive around.

Don't forget your flags and a way to mount them. One flag per vehicle including the truck towing your toyhauler.

Tire pressure depends on what type of tire and rim you have. Google for "jeep jk (tire kind/size) sand". Lower is better until you break the bead.

Bring a shovel. Bring extra beer to bribe other people to use the shovel.

Super Moderator
I have been buying California State Parks Annual Passes for 10 years and, yes, it allows you into Ocean Dunes. Unfortunately, I received a letter with this year's renewal informing me that Cal State Parks will stop issuing Annual Passes beyond this year.

Best time to go is early in the morning, before all the ATV and bike riders wake up and take over the place. If you show up by 8-9am, you will have had your fill by the time everyone wakes up by 10-11am. Otherwise, it is super cool to park along the surf to watch the sunset.

Here are some pix of my 2012 JKUR at Oceano Dunes

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I went there once so far a month ago. I liked it overthere a lot. I just bought a day pass only, not sure if there is an anual pass available, you can ask them at the station.

Good time to arrive mourning so you have plenty of time to drive over sand dunes or enjoy of the views of the beautiful sea.

With my 35" tires on 17 wheel i went down to 10 psi. could also go 8 but i didn't need to. My tip would be to watch out for sudden fall ofs or drops. Its hard to see them until you are very close. Drive slow. If you are going up the hill in the sand make sure to use good speed and when you get stuck on hill going up and you will :), only back up straight, dont turn your wheel right or left while backing up on a hill.

Thank you!! Looking forward to it tomorrow!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know there is no annual pass. Even if there were it wouldn't be interesting.

When the beach is full they close access, pass or no. It doesn't happen often though.

For day trips arrive before lunch. If you want to camp you need to arrive the day before you want to drive around.

Don't forget your flags and a way to mount them. One flag per vehicle including the truck towing your toyhauler.

Tire pressure depends on what type of tire and rim you have. Google for "jeep jk (tire kind/size) sand". Lower is better until you break the bead.

Bring a shovel. Bring extra beer to bribe other people to use the shovel.
Thank you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have been buying California State Parks Annual Passes for 10 years and, yes, it allows you into Ocean Dunes. Unfortunately, I received a letter with this year's renewal informing me that Cal State Parks will stop issuing Annual Passes beyond this year.

Best time to go is early in the morning, before all the ATV and bike riders wake up and take over the place. If you show up by 8-9am, you will have had your fill by the time everyone wakes up by 10-11am. Otherwise, it is super cool to park along the surf to watch the sunset.

Here are some pix of my 2012 JKUR at Oceano Dunes

Nice!! I noticed your jeep doesn't have flags.. Are they not required?

Is there a separation between the surf and the dunes?

Thanks again!

Super Moderator
The Ranger has never required me to have flags. I think they are more important for ATVs cuz they go flying. You are not going to be going very fast in your Jeep.

Surf shore and dunes is all one open area. The packed wet sand next to the surf has the most traffic, as it allows kooks in their Mustangs and Camrys to drive on the beach.

There are sections inside where you will find very loose sand, but nothing an aired down Wrangler can't handle. Just make sure you don't get yourself to the bottom of a sand bowl with no way to get up and out. And always check the back side of a dune before going down. Don't assume anything; it may be a steep drop.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The Ranger has never required me to have flags. I think they are more important for ATVs cuz they go flying. You are not going to be going very fast in your Jeep.

Surf shore and dunes is all one open area. The packed wet sand next to the surf has the most traffic, as it allows kooks in their Mustangs and Camrys to drive on the beach.

There are sections inside where you will find very loose sand, but nothing an aired down Wrangler can't handle. Just make sure you don't get yourself to the bottom of a sand bowl with no way to get up and out. And always check the back side of a dune before going down. Don't assume anything; it may be a steep drop.
Hello! So I went today and got stuck in the loose sand.. I didn't even make it to the dunes, dunes... Stayed Closer to the Surf.. But while passing by or turning I landed in loose sand.. I released my tire pressure but I don't know if I did it right.. I lowered it from 47 psi to 34 psi.. And got stuck in the sand on more than one occasion.. Do I need to go lower lol?? 馃槱

Thanks for the info!

Super Moderator
Yes, you need to go down to 18 if on stock tires; down to 14 if on offroad tires.

Factory recommended tire pressure for daily driving is 37, so you were barely below that!

47 PSI...you must have been bouncing all over the road!

Aldo

Premium Member
Hello! So I went today and got stuck in the loose sand.. I didn't even make it to the dunes, dunes... Stayed Closer to the Surf.. But while passing by or turning I landed in loose sand.. I released my tire pressure but I don't know if I did it right.. I lowered it from 47 psi to 34 psi.. And got stuck in the sand on more than one occasion.. Do I need to go lower lol?? 馃槱

Thanks for the info!
You need to get down to 15. 30 and above are not going to cut it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
You need to get down to 15. 30 and above are not going to cut it.
Yikes.. Ok no wonder I wasn't getting anywhere.. Lol thanks @ScarletVarlet first time doing all this and walking up I thought i was being attacked by snakes with all the hissing that was coming from trucks, trailers... Very interesting but round two tomorrow!

Super Moderator
Hope you have an air compressor; otherwise, there's a Chevron station up Grand Ave. that has air hoses for Jeepers to inflate their tires free of charge.

Enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, you need to go down to 18 if on stock tires; down to 14 if on offroad tires.

Factory recommended tire pressure for daily driving is 37, so you were barely below that!

47 PSI...you must have been bouncing all over the road!

Aldo
I just got them last week.. That's what the tire/wheel shop had them at when I picked them up! No wonder it felt a little ruff driving around! 馃槶馃槶馃槶

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Hope you have an air compressor; otherwise, there's a Chevron station up Grand Ave. that has air hoses for Jeepers to inflate their tires free of charge.

Enjoy!
Nope! There's a little candy store as soon as you get out of the dunes and I saw people pulling up and inflating their tires, for $1 a tire! That's where I went.. Man... Good to know and I passed the chevron too...

Registered
Yikes.. Ok no wonder I wasn't getting anywhere.. Lol thanks @ScarletVarlet first time doing all this and walking up I thought i was being attacked by snakes with all the hissing that was coming from trucks, trailers... Very interesting but round two tomorrow!
Silly question, but did you put it in 4 low? just making sure :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts