Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday, 2-21-16 at 6:45 p.m. OCSD airship DUKE was dispatched to rescue of a man and his 9 year old son on Holy Jim Trail. The pair were in their Jeep when it became mechanically disabled, they were able to make a call to dispatch but communications were lost.
DUKE was on scene and searching for approximately 50 minutes before they were able to locate the father and son who had left their vehicle and were now walking east of the peak. After locating a suitable landing zone, DUKE landed and sent one of the crew members to the pair with an emergency bag of water and medical supplies. The father, son and crewmember returned after about 25 minutes of hiking uphill to the waiting helicopter. DUKE flew the father and son to a local airstrip in Trabuco Canyon where deputies were waiting and drove the pair to RSM City Hall where their wife/mother was anxiously waiting for their return.
Very good job by the DUKE crew to find this father and his son to get them off the mountain in the dark. It definitely would have been a cold night for the both of them last night.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Good example of how and easy trail can get you into trouble real quick when your off on your own. That's a popular trail too. I'm surprised someone didn't just come upon them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It goes to show that it doesn't matter if your going for a 5 mile adventure or 500 mile adventure, take supplies and blankets, etc.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Keep in mind that it's rarely a good thing to do anything but remain with your disabled Jeep. If you're in a true rescue situation, it's easier to find your Jeep than it is you walking around.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The only legitimate reason to get out would be to climb up hill for a cell signal maybe

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
When I read OCSD "airship Duke" was dispatched, the first thing that came to mind was that the Orange County Sheriff's Department had added an attack blimp to their fleet. :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is a good reason to always carry supplies. I usually have at least 6 bottles of water, my JetBoil and some Freezedried foods. Also have something to make a fire with and a nice sharp knife. There just should be some basic supplies you put in your Jeep and keep them there.. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
515 Posts
This makes no sense to me. You can walk out all the way from the back in an hour Or you could knock on someone's door. There are homes in the back off the right fork.

·
Registered
997 Posts
This makes no sense to me. You can walk out all the way from the back in an hour Or you could knock on someone's door. There are homes in the back off the right fork.
I agree... Makes no sense. The jeep trail is no where near any peaks so why are they walking near a peak. The part of Holy Jim Trail you can drive is in the lower area with cabins all around it.
Sounds like the story is skewed abit and the details are misleading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts