Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Jeepers. I'm new to the Jeep world. Just purchased my first Jeep a week ago. 2020 Wrangler JL 2.0 turbo. I had to fill it up for the first time today. I used 87 octane after reading the book. It says to use 91 when towing or extreme heat. I'm in southern Louisiana. It's always extreme heat here :LOL: but I'm sure not extreme as the book is talking about. My question is, what do you guys use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use 91 because of the turbo. My understanding is that the fuel is cleaner so better for the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use 91 because of the turbo. My understanding is that the fuel is cleaner so better for the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Thanks!! I guess filling it up with 83 won't hurt this time. I'll try 91 next fill. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
7,045 Posts
Hello fellow Jeepers. I'm new to the Jeep world. Just purchased my first Jeep a week ago. 2020 Wrangler JL 2.0 turbo. I had to fill it up for the first time today. I used 87 octane after reading the book. It says to use 91 when towing or extreme heat. I'm in southern Louisiana. It's always extreme heat here :LOL: but I'm sure not extreme as the book is talking about. My question is, what do you guys use.
We also bought a 2020 2.0L turbo last month. I know the owner's manual says that 87 octane can be used for satisfactory performance and fuel economy it says that 91 octane will allow it to operate at optimal performance. Thus, we fill it with 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I run 93 through my 2.0 because its only $1.65/gallon. For that price i can top off for less than $30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We also bought a 2020 2.0L turbo last month. I know the owner's manual says that 87 octane can be used for satisfactory performance and fuel economy it says that 91 octane will allow it to operate at optimal performance. Thus, we fill it with 91 octane.
Thank you very much for the reply. I’m going to start using 91 also. I’ve read sometimes you’ll hear a knocking using the higher octane and if so use lower octane. Just wanted to share that with you.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Regular will pre ignite due to the excess heat created with a turbo. Super does not. In my opinion you will never EVER experience "knocking" (preignition) on super over regular.
Jeep does not seem to mind preignition. I am not a fan. To me, if it ignites early, it is affecting the power stroke, therefor affecting the power generated. I would not waste my money on anything but super with a turbo. If you want to save a bit, use mid grade.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Or mix your own 101 octane

13 gallons 93 octane pump gas
7 gallons xylene
12oz Marvels Mystery Oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regular will pre ignite due to the excess heat created with a turbo. Super does not. In my opinion you will never EVER experience "knocking" (preignition) on super over regular.
Jeep does not seem to mind preignition. I am not a fan. To me, if it ignites early, it is affecting the power stroke, therefor affecting the power generated. I would not waste my money on anything but super with a turbo. If you want to save a bit, use mid grade.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Awesome! Thanks for the great info. I’ll def be using super from here on out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts