Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 JT Mojave Sting Gray
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 JKU (3.6L automatic) with about 52,000 miles. I fill my tank about once every 9 days with 87 octane top-tier fuel, usually 18.5 to 19 gallons total.

Last night, after the Jeep sat for about 3 hours, with a half a tank left, I start the Jeep and get half way out of my garage before it sputters and dies with an "Octane" message in the cluster. I restart only for it to die when I put it in gear. I start it again and pull it back into the garage.

I thought it was odd, maybe just needed a few stop/start cycles to clear the issue out.

Drive it several times today a total of about 30 miles without any issues or "Octane" message. Then, it does it again during a 20 mile drive. Driving mostly fine, but the engine definitely felt off. No noise associated with it. I get home, do a few stop/start cycles and still get the message. No codes being issued but I did have a couple other cluster lights come up (can't remember which ones).

I searched forum and didn't find anything about an octane message. A lot of discussion about octane rating and misfires/pinging, but nothing on an octane message in the cluster.

So, anyone have any ideas? Probably going to take it into the dealership in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
There is no "Octane" message that would be generated by the dash. Jk is meant to run 87.

Are you the original owner?

If so, do you have a tuner on it like Superchips etc that have programmable modes (not even sure these would show on the dash but worth an ask)?

Did you maybe misread the message?

If not, are you sure it is a US Jeep and not imported?

·
Registered
971 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is no octane message on any Jeep that I have owned or driven. If the Jeep has substandard fuel the Knock sensor will just retard timing and It will
lose power. If you think you have an octane problem [bad gas] top it of with some premium 91/93 that should sort it out. 87 octane is the recommended fuel but if you add a shot of premium it will mix with whatever is in the tank and give it a little boost.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Where in the cluster was octane displayed? Have you tried the key dance to read the codes? Basically turn the key 3x off and on quickly without starting it and ending with key in the on position if you have stored code it will display it. Do a google search of how to get stored codes on jk Wrangler

·
Registered
51 Posts
just run 93 octane screw it if you are worried the most expensive gas might be worth it if you have a lot of money invested in your jeep and a lot of upgrades but I use top tier 87 octane with 10% ethanol and have no problems

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no "Octane" message that would be generated by the dash. Jk is meant to run 87.

Are you the original owner?

If so, do you have a tuner on it like Superchips etc that have programmable modes (not even sure these would show on the dash but worth an ask)?

Did you maybe misread the message?

If not, are you sure it is a US Jeep and not imported?
I can’t find any information on the message; hence my asking here.

I am the original owner. I use a Superchips flashcal to program tire size, but I returned it to stock and still receive the message.

I bought it brand new in Kansas, so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t meant for another country.

Where in the cluster was octane displayed? Have you tried the key dance to read the codes? Basically turn the key 3x off and on quickly without starting it and ending with key in the on position if you have stored code it will display it. Do a google search of how to get stored codes on jk Wrangler
In the compass/digital speedo area. I haven’t tried the on/off truck yet, but I used the flashcal to read codes and nothing came up.

What’s really weird to me, is if it was bad gas, why would it start after 160 miles into the tank (since I fill up from nearly empty every time)?

Here’s a picture of the message (yes I know, I’m terrible for taking the picture while driving). And it does run “funny” too. No noticeable noise, but a subtle sluggishness , almost sputtering.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just run 93 octane screw it if you are worried the most expensive gas might be worth it if you have a lot of money invested in your jeep and a lot of upgrades but I use top tier 87 octane with 10% ethanol and have no problems
I plan on trying that tomorrow too. I’ve run top tier 87 for 50k miles with no issues.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s in the area where radio stations and media source information is displayed, like the Sirius Octane channel, but I don’t have Sirius and that wouldn’t explain it dying on me and running funny.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Does it knock?
Gas cap locked?
Gas/ethanol mix could separate, base gasoline have lower octane because ethanol plays the role of octane buster. If water was added to the tank accidentaly or intentionally this will also separate the ethanol from base fuel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so dumbass of the week award goes to me. After my last post about 10 minutes ago, I went back out to the Jeep to look at something.

While I usually listen to FM radio, when I switched to satellite, it was tuned to the Octane channel. Apparently, the dealership activated Sirius last week without telling me (email in my spam folder confirmed it was activated) and for some reason it was tuned to the Octane channel and was displaying that even though I was on FM. At least that’s the most logical explanation for that being displayed that I can think of.

Still doesn’t explain the Jeep dying on me or running funny though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are you sure your not on the radio channel octane LOL
Bingo.
The reason I associated the “Octane” with a warning/error was because the first time I noticed it was when the Jeep died. It might have been there earlier and I didn’t notice. I noticed it again tonight when it wasn’t running normal.

I’m glad to know that’s not a message, but now I’m clueless as to why the Jeep died and has been running funny.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw an add on TV that Sirius was doing a free service to all for the rest of the month.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
...well at least it wasn't your wife saying the check engine light was on depicting some dude sitting on a toilet at " -4° "

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...well at least it wasn't your wife saying the check engine light was on depicting some dude sitting on a toilet at " -4° "

Yes, I have that to be thankful for. And now I won’t under that every time it’s -4 out, which thankfully isn’t often.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
Lololol.....this whole thread made my morning!

Op don't feel bad.... everyone has a moment like this at one time or another.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts