Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting sounds coming from my AX5 this evening. Whether in or out of gear without the clutch depressed there was a fairly noisy metal on metal rub sound. When I would depress the clutch the noise would change. About half way depressed the sound sort of disappears. Any advice? I gotta drive it up to daytona and back on friday for Jeep Beach and I'm worried... it shifts in and out of all gears fine and there is no issue getting her moving. There is also no dip or hike in RMPs as if the motor is catching drag from a semi - engaged clutch. I drove it today to work and it sounded fine. The noise just started tonight when I buttoned up my front diff.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Clutch original???? Could be worn splines......inspection plate loose.......

Is the noise like a TING?????? A CLANG?????? Change with RPMs????

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to previous owners history records the clutch was replaced 10k miles ago. I had a meeting with my off road club this evening and one of the local YJ sages took a listen, said it was my throw out bearing running dry with no grease. I'll swap it out after jeep beach. It should survive for now.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
IF they replaced the clutch 10K ago and did NOT do the T/O bearing, there are not enough derogatory words to describe the PO.......

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes it is the throw out bearing. Might as well replace the clutch too. New or not, you are in there after all, and are you really sure the PO replaced it?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts