Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to keep this brief, but I think you need a bit of back story to understand the issue. While driving around, my engine started to sputter until eventually it died. After trying a bunch of fixes, I decided to check the fuel tank assembly. Shockingly, I found the engine issue was due to the fuel tank assembly begin bent at almost 90 degree angle and wasn't reaching the fuel that was in the tank.

Recently I purchased a brand new fuel tank assembly for a 20 gallon tank. I soon found out why the previous owner had bent the fuel tank assembly. The assembly unit was too tall for the tank. When I submerged the assembly into the tank, the unit was standing about 1-1.5 inches above the screw holes of the tank. Oddly enough, the screw holes and the plate on top of the unit matched.

Any thoughts? Were there YJs made with a 15 gallon tank and I bought the wrong assembly unit?

Could the tank have been replaced? If so, why would the screw holes match up?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yj's did come with a 15 or 20 gallon tank. BUT they were the same exact tank. The fuel filler was longer in the 15 gal, which only allowed 15gal to be put in vs the full 20 gal.

And by "fuel tank assembly" I think you mean fuel pump (?). If that is the case I wish I could help, but I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually there is a plastic pipe in the vent hose , if you pull out the plastic pipe about 7 in and cut it off you will in crease the amount of fuel the tank will hold. I dont remember the video name but it os on youtube

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There is a white plastic tub in the bottom of the tank, it's to keep gas in the pump while cornering or climbing. Did your new tank come with this? If it not aligned correctly your pump may be resting on the edge of the splash tank. These get warped over time and many, including myself have pulled them out with no ill effects. They are just plastic welded into the bottom so pulling it out was no big deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So this happened with me... Sort of. I had the original sending unit and pump and I had replaced it myself. After having problems again I gave in and took it to a shop. The jackass did the same thing you were saying. He couldn't find a 15 gallon tank sending unit so he kept the 20gal one and bent it. Causing it to burn out the motor and give me a wrong reading on my gauge. It was pretty hard for me to find a 15 gallon sending unit and I needed the jeep. So what I did was used 1/4 inch corrian. You can use what ever you want that is resistant to gas and won't break down. I built it up until it was the right size. I think the 20 gallon tank is about 3/4 higher so I only raised it with three pieces. I drilled holes through and got bigger bolts for the tank. It worked and fit and runs great. Try that out

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is a white plastic tub in the bottom of the tank, it's to keep gas in the pump while cornering or climbing. Did your new tank come with this? If it not aligned correctly your pump may be resting on the edge of the splash tank. These get warped over time and many, including myself have pulled them out with no ill effects. They are just plastic welded into the bottom so pulling it out was no big deal.
He is correct, only 1 tank. The plastic tub gets all warped due to the fact that it was never intended to be submerged in ethanol blends. It gets soft and looses its shape. Remove it and your sending unit/ pump assembly should fit fine. Mine is still in place, but my gauge wont go below a1/4 tank because float hits the tub. Will remove in the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts