Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had Ghost now about 6 months, and put around 3000 miles on it. Some long distance, but mostly driving around and about. There's an odd noise that I'd like to make sure isn't anythiung serious. The best way to describe it is a 'growl'. Not in a good way though, more like "If I had an exhaust leak on one cylinder, it might sound like this". It's basically a growl per revoluition, not a growl per cylinder firing.

I ran a code check (because you can never be sure if the current CHECK ENGINE is a new CHECK ENGINE or just the standard CHECK ENGINE, and the only code i'm seeing is P4056, which is USUALLY a loose gas cap. I've replaced that, I think there's a vacuum hose problem somewhere. I don't think this is related?

I'm wondering how to best diagnose this. Crawling around looking for an exhaust leak maybe? It doesn't seem to be impacting the performance, it's just a weird growl and I want my baby to purr.

THoughts?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Exhaust leaks are typically more of a 'tick' or 'tap' sound. You say you have a growl per revolution. Is that per engine revolution, or per wheel revolution? If per engine revolution, you would be getting roughly 700 growls per minute, or almost 12 growls per second.

For the leak, look at the small hose going into the intake manifold near the throttle body. For more info search on "P0456", and you'll find a bunch of threads on the topic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust leaks are typically more of a 'tick' or 'tap' sound. You say you have a growl per revolution. Is that per engine revolution, or per wheel revolution? If per engine revolution, you would be getting roughly 700 growls per minute, or almost 12 growls per second.

For the leak, look at the small hose going into the intake manifold near the throttle body. For more info search on "P0456", and you'll find a bunch of threads on the topic.
It's not a tick or a tap, and it's definitely related to engine rotations, not drivetrain. I should try to record it. It just sounds uneven... if i were to wonder what it sounded like with one cylinder not firing, it might have this sound. But that would throw all sorts of codes. I'm not leaking or burning oil that I know of, so I haven't noticed crud getting out of the crankcase.

I'll try and find the hose you mention, thanks! I may take pictures :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts