Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013JK bought in 2016, overall no issues but have two different issues with the heat lately.

Once it warms up it starts off plenty hot but after about 15 minutes it is noticeably cooler, without changing any settings. It doesn't always do this, however. Sometimes it stays extremely hot for an hour.

Also, the heat dial is odd. The max setting a hugely warmer than just one notch below it.

It's like it goes from 100% heat to 70% heat with the first counter clockwise "click", then drops from 70 to 65 with the next, etc.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
You might want to check the fluid level in the radiator. Sometimes when the level is low the heat is erratic

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,574 Posts
2013JK bought in 2016, overall no issues but have two different issues with the heat lately.

Once it warms up it starts off plenty hot but after about 15 minutes it is noticeably cooler, without changing any settings. It doesn't always do this, however. Sometimes it stays extremely hot for an hour.

Also, the heat dial is odd. The max setting a hugely warmer than just one notch below it.

It's like it goes from 100% heat to 70% heat with the first counter clockwise "click", then drops from 70 to 65 with the next, etc.
Hi JasonMG,
We're sorry to hear about this. I do understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance; however, should you need to visit your dealer, please feel free to PM us. We'd be happy to offer assistance.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Registered
47 Posts

I wish I had the fix for you because this is the way my 2014 is as well, and this is the first winter that I have noticed it. I am on my third radiator so I monitor coolant level in the radiator and overflow closely and know they are correct. My 2008 was so hot I could never keep it on full heat at the lowest fan speed for long, but this winter there have been plenty of times I have had to keep full heat on in my 2014 and if I try to back it down any, the air gets much much cooler coming out of the vents. I live in NC so we do not have very harsh winters, but its all I can do to keep it comfortable when the outside temp is below 40.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Another option albeit not the one that you might prefer would be to purchase an auxiliary electric heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Not sure if they still make them but I had one once in one of my cars and it helped.

I have always wondered why vehicle manufacturers didn't supply vehicles with an electric defroster which would clear your windshield much faster than waiting for the engine heat to create warm air. It could even work only until the car heat made temperature and the defroster took over.

Oh well, that's a project for another day. :bop:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Following closely (Also 2013 JKU). I did a full anti-freeze flush and blow out last year and my heat was burning hot. Fast Forward to this year, and I'm in a similar boat as you. I can run the fan at 2 and get ok heat, but as I turn up the fan it clearly gets colder.

I just added fluid to it yesterday, it was low and going to try to keep monitoring, hoping i have an air pocket that is causing the issue. I already replaced the blender door. Outside of replacing the heater core (which I do not want to do), I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Another thing to consider is that you might have an air bubble in the system. If the air bubble hits the heater core, it could cool off quickly.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have the same issue with my '14, and there was another thread to check the blend door actuator. The part is not too expensive and does not look overly difficult to replace, so I may try that and see it if helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi JasonMG,

We're sorry to hear about this. I do understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance; however, should you need to visit your dealer, please feel free to PM us. We'd be happy to offer assistance.

Alex

JeepCares
I went to my dealer awhile back for this. Three missed opportunities to repair it. Blend door, controller and miss assembled dash. Still wasn't 100%. Its something in the ECM/BCM or whatever.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I have a 16. Does the same thing. You don’t say if you have auto ac like I do. I have found that if I put the system in recirculate it works better. Something about the outside air? I don’t know but if I don’t take it off outside air it will get cold after a while. If I just push the rec button ( then shut off the ac button) it gets warmer. I know it’s recirculating the warmer air but it happens fairly quickly then fan speed goes down and cools off a little. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,574 Posts
I went to my dealer awhile back for this. Three missed opportunities to repair it. Blend door, controller and miss assembled dash. Still wasn't 100%. Its something in the ECM/BCM or whatever.

Hi IceColeNH,
We're sorry to hear that you have also experienced this. I understand your previous trips to the dealer were unsuccessful, however, please keep our team in mind should you ever need to return. We'd be happy to add assistance.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 16. Does the same thing. You don’t say if you have auto ac like I do. I have found that if I put the system in recirculate it works better.
If you live somewhere that stays below freezing in the winter, the problem with putting the heater on recirc is the windows frost over on the inside because of the moisture from your breath. It's even worse with passengers obviously. Fun fact - on a lot of cars the defroster setting turns the AC on too, it helps take the moisture out of the air.

FWIW my 2016 does the same same thing regarding the heater. The "Auto" setting isn't exactly up to the level of other vehicles I've owned.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Didn’t think of the fogging issue. Don’t have to worry about that cold of temperatures where I live very often. Here I cannot use the auto in the summer or the fan speed will never slow down. Stays on high.

·
Registered
47 Posts

It may be something in the ECM. I replaced my stock battery over the weekend because my Jeep was starting a slower than normal and the battery was 6 years old. Since then, my heat has been noticeably hotter. So disconnecting power for a while seems to have reset something. Lets hope it lasts for a while???

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
If you live somewhere that stays below freezing in the winter, the problem with putting the heater on recirc is the windows frost over on the inside because of the moisture from your breath. It's even worse with passengers obviously. Fun fact - on a lot of cars the defroster setting turns the AC on too, it helps take the moisture out of the air.

FWIW my 2016 does the same same thing regarding the heater. The "Auto" setting isn't exactly up to the level of other vehicles I've owned.
Turn the A/C button on and turn it on recirc. It'll dry it all out and solve the foggy/frosting windows.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Turn the A/C button on and turn it on recirc. It'll dry it all out and solve the foggy/frosting windows.

a/c only works down to certain temps and then gets locked out. Can't off hand remember what that temp is.

Recirc will also not operate in defrost mode

NOTE:Recirculation mode will not operate when in the Floor, Mix or Defrost position and the recirculation indicator lamp will not illuminate.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts

Jeep does that too. It just doesn't activate the a/c light. As with most vehicles though, the a/c only works down to a set temperature and then gets locked out to prevent damage. I don't what the jeep minimum temp is but usually the a/c gets locked out at a degree to 2 above freezing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a similar issue but not with the temp. Mine will slowly lower the fan speed. I can have it on high speed and very slowly over a 20-30min time frame it will drop in speed to lower than the low setting. I turn it to off then back to high and it repeats

1 - 18 of 18 Posts