Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a faint high-pitched electrical sound sporadically while driving your jeep?

Every now and then, I hear the noise and I cannot figure out what it possibly could be. It seems to be coming from somewhere along the driver side dash area. It occurs with the radio off, seat heater off, lights off etc. I would try to record it but it is so random and faint I don't think it would pick up very well on my phone.

I would describe it as a buzz or hum kind of like this example but higher pitched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpa4KKQddWw

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Is the heater blower on when you're hearing this?

I ask because the blower in mine started whistling/humming whenever it's really cold. The first time it happened, I was on the freeway and it got loud enough that before I figured out what it was, I thought maybe a wheel bearing was going out. It has since settled down to an annoying hum which could be mistaken for electrical.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the heater blower on when you're hearing this?

I ask because the blower in mine started whistling/humming whenever it's really cold. The first time it happened, I was on the freeway and it got loud enough that before I figured out what it was, I thought maybe a wheel bearing was going out. It has since settled down to an annoying hum which could be mistaken for electrical.
No, the HVAC system is off. I tried to turn everything off to see if it still happened and it does. It only lasts for about 2-3 seconds each time it does it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Do you keep your phone on the dash? Sounds a bit like the interference noise that can come through speakers when a phone using data sits too close to a speaker.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you keep your phone on the dash? Sounds a bit like the interference noise that can come through speakers when a phone using data sits too close to a speaker.
I keep my phone in my pocket while driving. The head unit is turned off and the sound still happens. In fact, the first few times I noticed it, I tried turning the volume up quickly to see if the noise volume also increased and it didn't.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Did you add any bolt-ons to the exterior of your Jeep like a light bar or other lights, etc?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The only thing that's behind the dash is the mechanism for the blend door and the radio fan, which will operate if the radio is off. Other than that I don't know what could cause that type of sound.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing that's behind the dash is the mechanism for the blend door and the radio fan, which will operate if the radio is off. Other than that I don't know what could cause that type of sound.
I suppose it could be coming from the engine compartment, I really don't know. I'll try and record it and see if I can post it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts