Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Penzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic 5W-20 and OEM filters in my 2016 JKU since I bought it. I've changed the oil 5 times myself.

Went to buy it today and pep boys is no longer carrying it, only the ultra or the high mileage platinum. Walmart doesn't have it in stock locally either. I know I could use the ultra but figured I'd see what jeep had. I need to do the change tomorrow so I bit the bullet and went to the local dealership to buy their 5w-20 synthetic. I'd seen the blue ones they sell, however was sold this odd yellow packaged oil... Not sure if I should put it in. I can't find the stock number anywhere online, it's labeled from 2017 so maybe it's the new branding? Anyone?

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Magneti marelli is a company that FCA has had a strong relationship with since 2011 from my reading.

The oil used to be called Exel oil ( or hell, maybe it still is). I can't find much else on it.

Quite a bit out there about their FCA relationship. And their filters...

I order the pennzoil ultra platinum limited supreme diamond (I may have added one or three of those) on Amazon. It's somewhat annoying as I don't even have to order the oil for my Lotus, but it's supposedly made of unicorn tears and really good stuff so I just suck it up and order it online.

Run it for 5k miles and send off a sample to blackstone. Curious minds want to know. Lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bengr

·
Registered
418 Posts
Home Depot's my source, dunno if you have one local to you or not. Surprisingly it's also cheaper than buying from Walmart or Amazon, and they do a military discount...

Side note - 2AMO6240AA search is interesting. 5W20 sythentic stuff, replaces 5166240AB, 5166240PA. I couldn't find anything on bob is the oil guy along the lines of a decent review. So maybe if it's not too much trouble, possibly entertain the previously mentioned idea of sending it off for an analysis after you've had your way with it? At 5.50-6 bucks a qt, it doesn't seem too spendy-ish.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I watch it online on Walmart site. "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum" it sells out fast. When it's available I buy four-five 5 qt jugs and ship to the house. The relatively new packaging is yellow also. I'm sure the mopar synthetic is more than adequate also though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FYI Fiat owns Magnetti Marelli. Magnetti Marelli owns Midas (as in Mufflers). MM is the parts supplier for Fiat, while 'MOPAR' is the parts supplier (brand) for Chrysler. Thus, you'll see things labeled as Magnetti Marelli / MOPAR. Especially fluids and such which they don't really make, but simply spec and brand.

(Note, MM is similar to Delphi, Delco, Siemens, Continental, and others in that they also make parts for other automakers as well. I.e. Audi/Lamborghi/BMW/VW all source parts from them...)

·
Registered
418 Posts

Ghost oil...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2AMO6240AA it's not a zero. That's throwing your search off just a bit.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Nothing wrong with conventional pennzoil

Nothing wrong with factory recommended conventional 5-20 . My Jeep purrs with it . Also , my Jeep does not like the taste of synthetic anything : No synthetic food , No synthetic beer , No synthetic women , No synthetic Jeeps . :bop:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
One of the reasons why Mobil 1 won't get approval.
FCA in bed with/owns Magneti Marelli .
Mobil 1 is the toughest engine oil in the world. I have been using it in all of my engines, gas and diesel since it's introduction.
I was one of the original test users in my Peterbilts/Cat engines way back when.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts