Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often wondered about running a different size spare on 4wd vehicles. My old Grand Cherokee had a "space saver spare" that was smaller than the OE tires, but when does that size difference become a problem?
It would seem that Jeeps and other 4wd vehicles that come with lockers and LS diffs would suffer some type of damage at some point if you had to rely on a odd size spare to get out of an off road environment, right??

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was always told that if/when you get a flat, to make sure the drive wheels are the same size. i.e. if the rear drivers side goes flat, and you have a "donut" spare, you should put the donut on one of the front wheels, and then move that wheel from the front to the needed spot in the back..

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
ob269 said:
I was always told that if/when you get a flat, to make sure the drive wheels are the same size. i.e. if the rear drivers side goes flat, and you have a "donut" spare, you should put the donut on one of the front wheels, and then move that wheel from the front to the needed spot in the back..
Same. I have a smaller spare. No interest in rotating the spare in there. I got a flat on the rear tire when I was off road so I had to bring a front wheel to the back and put the spare on the front. It's extra work but its not really that bad. I didn't drive much on the spare tire, maybe 30 miles, but I didn't have any trouble with traction control

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I had to drive with 3 35's and 1 33" for about a week.

I ordered 4 35's because I was short on cash. Intended to buy the 5th when I paid off the credit card. Sure enough, picked up my Jeep. Drove home, then drove to work the next morning.

Co-worker is about to go to lunch. 'Did you get new wheels AGAIN? (33's to 35's in 9 months) You have a flat.'

One of the tires had a defective side wall, but had to be ordered. Traction control kept going off. You can hold the button to turn it off. However, a bit un-safe. It went off on the freeway a few times. First few times I didn't know how to override it. It slowed me down to about 40 mph with traffic going 65+.

If wheeling, this could possibly contribute to a flop/roll.

Bottom line: Carry a full size spare. I ordered my 5th wheel on day 2 of driving with one 33".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts