Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what the problem could be. When my Jeep gets warmed up, there is a high pitched grinding sound that comes from the front (possible t-case or tranny). The sound comes when I am accelerating or after I downshift. When in neutral or while shifting gears, the sound disappears but then comes right back once in gear. About a year ago a mechanic told me that there was a rear diff leak, but I took it to another about 3 months ago and they said he was an idiot haha. What could this be? It has been driving me crazy lately.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Check your fluids...but probably a pinion bearing, driveshaft u-joint, or throwout bearing (if manual tranny).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They think it may be the tranny, the mechanic wants to put a mic up to it and drive it. Unfortunately it is been raining for 2 days here in Cincy. I don't want a small problem to turn into a bigger problem so i came on here to see if anyone else had had similar issues, that way I could give them some ideas of where to look and listen. I'll be P1223D if it is the tranny because it only has 71K on it and I've been religious about maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts